Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Headers, Catback or.. Lowering springs?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Default Headers, Catback or.. Lowering springs?!

Hey guys, I just got my pay check and I'm looking to buy either Headers Exhaust or Springs.. My budget is around $400.. What should i get it done first?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Default RE: Headers, Catback or.. Lowering springs?!

hah, i just was having the same problem but my decision was between a header or lowering. i decided togowith lowering cuz i already have an exhaust and intake, but if i were you i would get an exhaust. i still have to save up a few more hundred dollars though cuz i am gonna go with full coilovers which are gonna be around 1k and have about $800. but yeah, i would say exhaust. preferably a GReddy SP2!

*EDIT* : i forgot you only had $400! go with headers then.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

With a $400 budget, you can't afford the camber adjustments or alignment for the suspension. Also, if you are going to do or pay for the labor to do springs, do the shocks and struts also. The stock dampers will get killed soon enough since they are not able to handle being lowered.

Your best improvement for that money is a set of anti-sway bars. You can save on the rear by reading the DIY's on using an Acura CL or TL rear bar and brackets. They are available in 17 or 20mm. I have Comptechs and love them ..... but then again, I have a full race track suspension.

Sways and tires were my first suspension upgrades and they gave me about double the traction that I had prior to the install.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM

Okay, so I say suspension is out of the way.. hm.. Exhaust or headers.. Can't afford exhaust so looks like I'm stuck with headers? Is it right to get Headers before Exhaust? or does the order not matter?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 AM

I did headers first. The gain is minimal without the mid-pipe from the exhaust system. The mid-pipe and Y are bigger restrictions than the exhaust manifold.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM

headers give you more power in the mid and high.
some ppl say it takes some away from the low. but if you get exhaust that shoudl help.
lowering springs are kind of a pain for me because my house has many bumps so i know for sure i can never drop any of my cars :/

exhaust= very pricey. when you're trying to get a performance full catback.
i beleive headers give you the best bang for buck. especcially because you alraedy have a sri it should make a noticible differernce.
I'd go for headers. but that may range in mid 500... depeneding on what type.

ceramic and stainless are probably you're choices.

ceramic can crack. if water gets on it so i would go for stainless. research more on ceramic and stainless. I'm sure people are gonna say pay a little moer and go for stainless.
hope this helps!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: nate122

some ppl say it takes some away from the low. but if you get exhaust that shoudl help.
lowering springs are kind of a pain for me because my house has many bumps so i know for sure i can never drop any of my cars :/
The headers plus exhaust actually lowers low-end torque more. At low rpm's, the exhaust is not moving quick enough. Th exhaust helps the headers by allowing you to get to the higher rpm's quicker. For the V6, there are gains from both parts and the loss in torque is made up by the faster rpm climb.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 AM

I decided to just get my car tinted and go get my second tattoo

Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 AM

tints are definately worth the money if done well

Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

ORIGINAL: nate122

The headers plus exhaust actually lowers low-end torque more. At low rpm's, the exhaust is not moving quick enough. Th exhaust helps the headers by allowing you to get to the higher rpm's quicker. For the V6, there are gains from both parts and the loss in torque is made up by the faster rpm climb.
there is a happy medium which one can reach with these bolt ons. depending on the HP output of the motor. the factory manifold was designed to do two things well: keep things quiet, and last. not exactly performance driven. if the diameter of the primaries are too big, then yes you will lose torque, however, there is a point where you dont without restricting the flow. the design of most after market headers is much more efficient than that of stock. intake and an exhaust are nothing if you dont increase efficiency of exhaust gases leaving the motor.

Quick Reply: Headers, Catback or.. Lowering springs?!