Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Headers or Suspension Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Default Headers or Suspension Upgrade?

I heard (a) header(s) is the best engine upgrade out of an I/H/E set up. i was planning to go with a header for my next part, but i heard it would be better to lower my car, which would give me better aerodynamics and make it faster then an aftermarket header would.i have about $700 to spend. what do you guys think?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Headers or Suspension Upgrade?

By faster, do you mean 0-60 (stock is better) or ripping someone in passing gear on the highway (header is better for high rpm)?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM

so your saying my stock header makes my car faster 0-60 then an aftermarket header? that sounds kinda weird to me...but what would make my car faster (0-60 or passing-gear-highway), a header or lowering?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM

well ..... actually more like 0-30, rpms below 4000. Lowering your car may improve it's aerodynamics, but I wouldn't expect it to be even a measurable differance below 80 mph. Lowering your car will help your handling due to the lower center of gravity. Also, with coilovers or shocks with an ajustable deck, you can balance the corner weights of the car which will further improve handling. Last, lowering the center of gravity will decrease the angle between the center of gravity and level with the wheel as the vertex ..... in english, it's kinda like stretching out the front wheel on a chopper or top fuel, keeps it from lifting up. This in effect will press your front tires to the road harder and give you better traction, which on launch means less tire spinning and more go.

This last item regarding traction is a theory based on geometry. While I'm pretty certain that my assumptions are correct, this too may be an unmeasurable item.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:03 PM

but you kinda never answered the question...which would make my time faster in a 1/4 mile, a header or lowering?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM

if you're looking for perforamce parts, then go with headers. If not, then do suspension. When I first started modding my car, I did performance parts first then lowered it. If I could go back, I would lower it first then do performance parts. I can't stand 4x4. As I said in another post, my suspension set up cost me nearly 900 for the ground control sleeves and konis (getting installed tomorrow!!!). There are alot of other coilovers on the market such as Tein's ss which are around 700-800.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 PM

for a quarter mile,the header. Very little time above 80 mph and even then, the gain from aerodynamics will be very little. For an eighth of a mile, I think you're faster now than with the header and lowering would have no effect ..... other than maybe my launch idea posted above.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 AM

lower it, trust me it's one of the best upgrades you can do. headers are good too but i'd go with the lowering kit

Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 AM

I agree that lowering the car is better all-around. The handling effects are major while the performance gain for your car isn't nearly as much ...... I'd still do the header, just after the suspension.

BTW - I have Tein SS, CT anti-sways, all supporting bars and good tires on stock rims and I can hold 0.9 g's on the G-Timer electronic skidpad! not too shabby for grandma's grocerie getter!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM

You should be able to do both with $700. I was able to do both for $650 total, but I had to install the header myself or else that's another $100 or so.

Quick Reply: Headers or Suspension Upgrade?