Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

help with headers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Default help with headers.

i recently swapped over an a6 head on my b2 in my 94 accord ex.
i got the a4 headers but i cant get the exhaust pipes to match up at the down pipe, theres like a whole 3 inches between the two pipes horizontally. any ideas?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Are you running the cat? Have you modified the down pipe at all?

If youre not running the cat and have not modified the down pipe then I would suggest either having an exhaust shop make you an extension or cut the flanges off the ends of the down pipe and exhaust and try clamping some exhaust pipe in there until you can have something more permanent done to it. good luck!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well I think it might just be your exhaust system has bent slightly from time.

I removed my motor recently. I did not pull the exhaust from the motor at all.

When I put it back on I had the same misalignment as you. The pipe coming from the motor was around 2" or so lower than the pipe on the bottom of the car.

I pulled the 2 rubber mounts off the upper 'L's" which dropped the pipe down perfectly and it connected to the downpipe perfectly.

I then used a couple of med sized Zip Ties and tied the rubber mounts back up to the "L's"

The fit must have been bad for a while as I had always had a loud exhaust but now it is much quieter. It makes me think that there was a bad alignment at that connection there for a while.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

The pipes are made short, so they have room to expand when they get hot. I usually have to stretch the rubber hangers a bit. Seems like 3 inches is a bit much though...

Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM

the a4 headers are longer than the b1 so it drops the pipe about an 1 1/2 inches, but its not the drop. the down pipe is 3 inches to the right from the cat.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, I forgot the part about a swapped engine.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Supper Moderator

yes the 2 down pipes are different. just go snag a a4 down pipe from PNP or JY and call it a day. Otherwise you will have to take it to a exhaust shop and have them put a bend there. I had to b/c I could not get my hands on a f22a4 DP so I used a f22b1 DP..the f22b1 DP didn't hug my oil pan like the f22a4 does. It sitts 2in off my oil pan. and my cb is slammed so my DP is F-ed in the A right about now...lol

Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
yes the 2 down pipes are different. just go snag a a4 down pipe from PNP or JY and call it a day. Otherwise you will have to take it to a exhaust shop and have them put a bend there. I had to b/c I could not get my hands on a f22a4 DP so I used a f22b1 DP..the f22b1 DP didn't hug my oil pan like the f22a4 does. It sitts 2in off my oil pan. and my cb is slammed so my DP is F-ed in the A right about now...lol
but will the a4 DP connect to my cat?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Supper Moderator

yes it should. I just thought about this tho. Most PNP and JY cut the cats off instead of unbolting them and 99% of the time they cut the flex pipe in half. You might wanna go check over at cb7tuner.com and see if you cant find someone selling a a4 DP.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
yes it should. I just thought about this tho. Most PNP and JY cut the cats off instead of unbolting them and 99% of the time they cut the flex pipe in half. You might wanna go check over at cb7tuner.com and see if you cant find someone selling a a4 DP.
went to pnp, theres no way they'll match up stock. the cat on the a4 is further back and the DP is longer. i still need an exhaust shop apparently :/

Quick Reply: help with headers.