Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

HELP! Noise from exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 AM
Default HELP! Noise from exhaust system

My car has recently been driving me nuts. I have a rattling noise problem. One that seems to be coming from the area right under the left rear seat. Sounds like my cat back is bouncing on the frame or the bumper or something like it. When I checked under the car while it was still making the noise I found nothing... Another is when I give the car a little throttle I hear a whining belt slipping noise. I'm guessing both problems could be my OBX header since that was the last mod I did on the car and never heard a sound until I switched from the stock header.

I guess my question is does anybody with the OBX header for the 4cyl have any similar problems? I might just switch back to my stock header if I can't figure this out. I feel like I'm ruining Honda’s reputation by driving around in the fabulous accord and making crappy rust bucket noises. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: HELP! Noise from exhaust system

The cat is near the engine. The location that you describe is where the resonator is. If I werre you, I'd check the cat-back system to make sure that all hangers are ok and that nothing is hitting metal-to-metal. I have the V6 with an OBX header and in 4 years have never had any problems with it. I've heard that their gaskets aren't the greatest, but since I haven't added nitrous yet, I haven't burned it out.

For the belt noise, have you actually checked the belts? It might just be coincidental ...... actually it's most likely that it is since an exhaust leak doesn't sound anything like a belt slipping.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM

actually now that I think about it haven't checked the belts.. i will definitely go check it. As for the resonator you are dead on I couldn't tell before because i was in park but as soon as I put it in drive and pulled the e-brake to keep it from rolling the resonator was hitting the frame. I guess it just needs to be bent a few degrees so that it lines up in the center.

Thanks for the advice =)

Old 12-05-2007, 11:39 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

My WS2 was hitting a nut barely right after the resonator, so when it was undera load or I suddenly let off it started going BBBBBBMMMMMMMMMMMZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and you could feel it like crazy! So I just coveered the nut in high temp silicone and havent had a problem since unless it rains, then it still does it.

As for the OBX header, I had one for about a yeah and a half and just took it off a few months ago. The gaskets kept blowing out and my mpg kept dropping and it is a pain in the butt. So the stock manifold is back on.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 AM

There is a fairly common exhaust problem that I fealt is worth mentioning here, even though it is not your problem. The factory mid-pipe has a small tube inside the one that you can see. If the inner tube breaks, it will rattle against the outter one.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM

What a coincidence~! I just did the same thing last night. I couldn't think of any other solution so I put silicon on it and so far so good. It's snowing in michigan so the roads are really wet and luckily haven't heard any rattling yet so.. hope it stays good. As for the OBX I'm in a bind because It's doing well so far but if in the future the gaskets keep on blowing like you mentioned I don't know what to do.. Since I replaced the old stock header due to extreme rust. Options at this point are the DC version or stock which are almost equally expensive. =(

Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM

lol. ive had this problem but it kinda went away on its own or at least its gotten better.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: jinstyle

What a coincidence~! I just did the same thing last night. I couldn't think of any other solution so I put silicon on it and so far so good. It's snowing in michigan so the roads are really wet and luckily haven't heard any rattling yet so.. hope it stays good. As for the OBX I'm in a bind because It's doing well so far but if in the future the gaskets keep on blowing like you mentioned I don't know what to do.. Since I replaced the old stock header due to extreme rust. Options at this point are the DC version or stock which are almost equally expensive. =(
That is funny!
B/C I put silicone on where it was hitting
Ive lived in Michigan (Benton Harbor[:'(])
And I am thinking about POSSIBLY replacing it with DC sport ones! haha

Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jinstyle

As for the OBX I'm in a bind because It's doing well so far but if in the future the gaskets keep on blowing like you mentioned I don't know what to do.. Since I replaced the old stock header due to extreme rust. Options at this point are the DC version or stock which are almost equally expensive. =(
did u double up your header gasket? like on my firebird and camaro i had to double them up and never had a prob. all my friends with cars w/headers did that and dont have any probs. either

Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM

.... or just get a better gasket from an auto parts store

Quick Reply: HELP! Noise from exhaust system