Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

help with sound...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Default help with sound...

So, I am getting kind of annoyed with the sound coming from my exhaust. I've had this 96 LX for about a week now, and have noticed at times when I don't have my stereo playing that the exhaust will rattle at mid-rpm range (i haven't watched the tach for specific numbers, but I'd say somewhere in the 2k-3k range). My wife says she can hear it in the house when I'm pulling up. Had a rattle once in a camaro I had but was a weld problem, and the exhaust was just re-welded when I got the accord as it was loose. Though the metallic quality of the sound still almost convinces me it's a broken weld. Never really had this problem with a v8 so I'm not sure what needs to be done. I've read on this forum a couple of references to a resonator, how might this part help/hurt the sound issue? Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks so much

Old 03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: help with sound...

well it depends. that rpm could just be the resonate frequency of the cover on the cat converter. ive gotta go to class i can post some more later about the resonator

Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 PM

do you have anyway of getting someone inside the car and hold it at that RPM while you listen/look for the vibration? just listen/look, maybe have an oven mit or something you can use to hold different parts and see if you can stop them from vibrating to track it down more effectively...

Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM

not sure how well that will work...the car has definitely been lowered, probably 1 1/2 or 2 inches. Can't see a thing underneath unless from the back of the car.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 PM

hmm... well I suppose you could check for noise from the engine compartment and the muffler with that method otherwise I'm not sure unless you raise the car... I used to drive mine up onto a couple of 2x4 pieces of wood when it was lowered so I could see underneath better...

Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 PM

good thought. Any more details out there about the resonator? What is its purpose?

Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 PM

on loud aftermarket exhausts.....a resonator will make the exhaust produce a deeper note. if you have a rattle it probably wont fix that. your cat is probably rattling

Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 AM

My brother in law suggested the cover on the cat this afternoon. Hopefully will get this rattle fixed very soon. I'm going to look into the resonator for sure. With the background I have in cars, deeper exhaust tone is definitely better.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:49 AM

yea if it sounds like a rattle then its probably your cat. if it just sounds raspy like a juicy fart then it might be your exhaust.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:54 AM

it could also be just a heat shield or maybe the catylatic converter it just depends on the sound

Quick Reply: help with sound...