Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Hi flow cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Default Hi flow cat

Well i was wondering about upgrading to a high flow cat... its the only part of the exhaust that is stock i have a 421 stainless steel header then a magnaflow exhaust and was wonderin what a hi flow cat would do and should i go with megan hi flow cat or what??? also 3 ?'s..... Will it get me better gas mileage or not..... will i get more horsepower and if so how much.... and will it make my exhaust louder????? ok so really 5 ?'s lol Thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Default RE: Hi flow cat

Well if you dont have to go through emissions, I would suggest an ebay test pipe. It gives the best flow(straight-through) and most HP gain. Makes your car a little louder but not much. Thats what I put on my 240sx along with header and catback exhaust cause I dont have to worry about emissions. If you do have emissions and all then a high-flow cat would be the way to go

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM

sweet indiana doesnt so sounds like a plan thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Most likely you're gonna get a P0420 CEL code after swapping out your OEM cat for an aftermarket one. Search on this forum and be prepared. Oh, and gas mileage will decrease if you have a high-flow cat; at least I know mine did. I don't know about the test pipe, but I'd imagine it'd be worse.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 PM

Does anybody have any opions on a OBX high flow cat? I'll have a meagn header and oem cat back.
Anyhting bad about this combo?
Oh and this will be for a 90 accord 5 speed F22a1

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 AM

wont we loose torque after switching to a test pipe/hi flo cat??
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 AM

I was thinking you would lose some kind of low end tourqe. With all the low restriction parts. But maybe the design of the headers counteracts that. Casue I'm sure you gain HP and TQ with the headers. And I'm sure gain HP with the cat but probably lose a little low end. But the increase of TQ from the headers may be enough to give back what the cat takes away.
But I don't know if it works like that. But that's alright. With a 5 speed, you pretty much make your own TQ, as long as the clutch is good .
SO what they hey, We'll just get the OBX. Casue I would like a name brand part, not a generic ebay part.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can get a new bung for the O2 sensor so it won't go all weird on you when you throw on a hi-flow cat or test pipe. Isn't the secondary O2 sensor downstream of the cat?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:42 PM

You can also get an MIL/CEL eliminator. Couple different versions out there but they basically make your ecu think everything is cool with the secondary O2. The only function of the secondary O2 is to tell the ecu if it is working properly as far as emissions. If you dont eliminate the CEL(check engine light), I believe it puts the ecu in "safemode", not sure though. Everything will still run, just not top notch.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
humblestud4849
Unregistered

I have an 02 accord and my cat is was rattling really bad everytime i changed gears. Its calmed down but i still think something is wrong. Any ideas as to what is wrong and what could of caused it. And how much would it cost ton replace, Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hi flow cat