Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

hondata air box mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default hondata air box mod

i cant open the link, does anyone know about the hondata airbox mod?

i had a buddy many years ago who just drilled holes in the bottom of his air box,gave a little more aggressive intake noise.. but anyway back to previous.. has anyone done this?? if so do you have a how to or a link... or pics??

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

anyone??

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Supper Moderator

you can cut the bottom of the box off where the filter still sits in the box. pretty much a poor man CAI. Search around google and you should find a write up about it

Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Default Airbox Mod

I have sort of. In my old 92' Civi Hatch I cut the bottom out of the airbox and of course left the filter. It didnt make a whole heck of a lot of difference.

However, I have also removed the Preheater box from my '04 Accord and it made a huge difference in the throttle response as well as the growl that comes out of the car when it gets going.

If you are looking to do something similar just use good judgment and either pull out the Preheater box (leaving your airbox untouched) or cut out a 70mm-80mm hole in the bottom of your airbox. I actually would recommend the Preheater box method as it usually does not damage anything to complete. You may have to remove your bumper though.

Last edited by Incognitjo; 08-24-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Something to do.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

I strongly suspect your fuel economy took an interesting change for the worse when you removed the preheater box.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well what actually came about was a friend of mine gave me a cone filter that i just put on the end of the intake tube and removed the box entirely.
left the preheater box in the fender... still sounds pretty good..

Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Default Oddly Enough

Originally Posted by shipo
I strongly suspect your fuel economy took an interesting change for the worse when you removed the preheater box.
I bought the car about 6 months ago and it was getting about 23mpg on the first couple tanks. Could have been my "Getting used to it" time but I dont really think so. I ran the usual injector cleaner, K&N Air Filter, oil change, etc... and got it up to about 26mpg. I recently went to the gas station and did the math and was getting 31mpg. I was surprised actually (I took the preheater box out about 2 months ago). I know I did the math right. So, I would have assumed that my mpg would have gone down also, because yeah, it should have a relatively noticeable effect but it doesnt seem to have hurt it that bad at all. I did do a few computer resets between here and there, maybe it is compensating. Who knows...The growl that comes out of my car when I hit it is pretty nice though, I know that

Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Well, facts of life (and physics) say that:
  • the K&N won't do diddly for fuel economy (either up or down)
  • a relatively warm intake charge is a huge aid to fuel atomization, fuel economy will almost always go up with a warm(er) flow of intake air in the spray zone of the fuel injectors

Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Default Vroom!

Originally Posted by shipo
Well, facts of life (and physics) say that:
  • the K&N won't do diddly for fuel economy (either up or down)
  • a relatively warm intake charge is a huge aid to fuel atomization, fuel economy will almost always go up with a warm(er) flow of intake air in the spray zone of the fuel injectors
Well, I would say that we have Honda Engineers to thank for a job well done then, because I can honestly say that my gas mileage has gone up, my torque is noticeably stronger and it sounds great. I would figure in that I live at about 5k feet above sea level and spend a lot of time above 9.5k above sea level so there is always the desire for more air in my engine. Maybe the added air induction is helping at my elevation, sort of a balance....

Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Incognitjo
Well, I would say that we have Honda Engineers to thank for a job well done then, because I can honestly say that my gas mileage has gone up, my torque is noticeably stronger and it sounds great. I would figure in that I live at about 5k feet above sea level and spend a lot of time above 9.5k above sea level so there is always the desire for more air in my engine. Maybe the added air induction is helping at my elevation, sort of a balance....

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Closed loop engine control systems keep the air to fuel ratio spot on regardless of whether you have a heavily clogged air filter in a stock intake, a clean air filter, a low restriction intake, or no plumbing at all upstream of the throttle body. If the air to fuel ratio doesn't change, then it is a physical impossibility for the fuel economy to change as well.

Like it or not, believe it or don't, any perceived changes in your fuel economy had NOTHING to do with the changes you've made to the intake.

Quick Reply: hondata air box mod