Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

hydra lock motor because of cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
stargazer777
Unregistered
Default hydra lock motor because of cold air intake

My husband and I just installed a AEM cold air intake on my 04 V6 accord, then we took it to the dealer to have the 60k service done and they said that it wasn't a good idea because there is a huge possibility of hydra locking the motor by sucking up water in through the filter. Obviously driving through deep water fast may cause this but regular driving in rainy conditions?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Huge possibility? I doubt that. Slight possibility? Of course. I know a ton of people with CAI and only one of which has ever hydro locked a motor. It was when we had so much rain that roads, houses, and everything were washed away. He hit like a 2ft deep puddle and hydro locked it. But just driving in the rain won't do it. If you are really worried about it you could get a bypass valve.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Even if you were to hydro lock the motor you can still fix it. But dont be worried about it. I have heard plenty of stories were people went through puddles, and then instantly pulled over and the filter was bone dry.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Fix a hydrolocked motor? My friend had like 3 spun bearings and 2 bent rods and like 4 bent valves. He just bought a new motor.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 AM

Here's what happened to a guy on 6GA and if you read it he did manage to get his engine back to life. http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...olocked+accord

And here's a guide in general to try to fix a hydrolocked motor http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=514984 (The guy from 6GA actually used this one)

Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In most cases, a hydrolocked motor is dead.

Sir Nasty HL'd a civic due to heavy snow and a missing lower shield. If you don't drive the car so that the bumper is in standing water (a lake), don't have rediculous amounts of snow AND a missing shield under the filter, etc. you should have no worries about hydrolock. Dealers will have ficticious problems with anything that they didn't put on the car ..... funny, the cops say that the dealer's license plate frame is illegal!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 PM
stargazer777
Unregistered

I think just to be safe we will just get the bypass valve. Do you have to cut a section out of the tube or just cut it in half?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
f22b boy
Unregistered

you have to cut the tube in half

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Neither. You put it in place of the throttle body side rubber connector. FYI - bypasses can cause problems too ..... like falling apart and shooting foam into your intake manifold. IMO, there is more risk in using one than not ..... not to mention that if it malfunctions, it is designed to allow unfiltered air into your engine.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
rafaeljose73
Unregistered

just be careful when driving. I had a 94 Civic w/ CAI. I drove it when it was raining and nothing happened. I just stayed away from puddles...

Quick Reply: hydra lock motor because of cold air intake