Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Increasing EGR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Question Increasing EGR

So I was reading a blog on the EGR and using a potentiometer to alter it, either have it increased or decreased. This was to give better throttle and fuel economy, especially with certain mods and driving styles. I wanna try it out.

The author stated that often with free flow exhaust upgrades the EGR is decreased because of the loss in back pressure. Makes sense that back pressure would help the exhaust recirculate.

So in theory, increasing the rate at which the EGR valve is opened would benefit my car.

Anyone ever look into this? I know the idea is to close it off but that actually seems destructive.

And since this is a vacuum control egr solenoid, would I have to use a pot on the solenoid rather than the EGR valve to get it to open up or do I need a pot on both since the ECU would figure out somethings wrong when the valve readings dont match the solenoid readings?

This can be done with a purely electrically controlled EGR.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 AM

You know, that's a great idea. I'll sacrifice my EGR system for the cause and have my electrical engineer buddy hack it apart with me.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 PM

I asked about this on another forum. There may still be some tweaking that can be done but with our EGR valves, they do not rely on the exhaust back pressure so a free flowing exhaust will not affect it there. On other cars yes. But theres still more to be experimented with in this field.