Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

intake facts???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Default intake facts???

hey...i just got a 1998 accord lx V6 and planning to put a intake in it...i was wondering does it really give better gas mileage and more horsepower??? how much??....which wone should i buy....i'm kinda on a tight budget. thanks!

Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Default RE: intake facts???

r u looking for a short ram intake or a cold air intake? and yea i saw a little bit of hp and mph gain

Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 AM

I got a short ram intake off ebay for 19.99 shipped, I LOVE IT! Its the best thing ive done to my car yet. since i have a v6 it really sounds good in the upper rpms

Basically, for intakes, all the piping is the same, its all in the filter. Buy a really cheap intake off ebay and slap an aem or K&N Filter on it, powdercoat it if u want, and youve got an intake just as good as an aem or injen intake for like 80% less

Old 12-27-2006, 04:40 PM

AEM is going to be slightly better than an e-bay one since they tune theirs to a specific lenth and resonation to improve power gains, the air filter controls airflow but SRI and CAI are more about frequency than just raw airflow... Those intakes are great but they are not as good as an AEM, Injen, Weapon R etc. That is what I would buy... I owned an AEM V2 CAI and as nice as it was I wouldn't pay $250.00 for an intake again unless I was competitivly racing

Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 PM

thats true, but the advantages of an aem intake really arent worth the extra 100 or so dollars, it might get u like 1/2 hp

Old 12-27-2006, 07:07 PM

You are exactly right in my opinion... On a stock 4 cyl motor it probably only makes 1/2 HP difference... I just wanted to make sure that someone didn't mis-understand what you were saying and assume that all intakes are created equall, on a highly modified engine or in a competative race situation I'd go with AEM, but not for a daily driver or even for auto cross for that matter....Just wanted to clarify the facts

Old 12-29-2006, 02:30 PM

yea, im just saying for someone on a tight budget its not really gonna do you any better to buy an aem intake, you could spend that money on something else

Old 12-29-2006, 02:40 PM

I hear injen provides the best gains

Old 12-31-2006, 02:46 AM

you also have to consider the fact that if it rains around your area alot i wouldnt suggest getting a cai. if you do get one get a bypass with it. and about the cheap ebay intake. you can get it but change the filter. and if you get a intake of ebay, make sure it is carb exempt (only if you live in california) if not dont worry about it. and good luck on your decision. as i am sure you would be happy with what you get. and happy new year

Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 AM

i would just get an ebay one and with the money you save you canstart saving up for headers or a cat back exhaust

Quick Reply: intake facts???