Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

intake installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Default intake installation

ok i know you need to rest the ecu do i disconnect the negative battery cable or both the negative and postive cable? and is it really worth taking out my air resonator? if i did take it out would it give more horsepower or airflow or anything? i mean if i did take it off would i get a substantial amount of gain of anything? or should i just leave it on their because it would not make a difference if it were off? thanks for all your help guys.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM

can anyone help me?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to remember how to reset the ECU on a 1979 carburated Accord...
Maybe if you told us what kind of car, then someone can help.

Normally just disconnecting the negative is sufficient. For some years you'll need the security code for the stereo. For some years there's a fuse you can pull (easier than the battery cable). For some other years (2003+) disconnecting the battery doesn't clear everything.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM

sorry its a 99 accord ex v6 and could you anwser my other questions to please.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Fuse # 13 in the passenger-side end of the dashboard, near the passenger door hinges. Then I think you still have to reset your clock, but don't need the radio code or reset all the radio presets.

I don't know whether removing the resonator will improve anything at all. Does your intake pull air through that? Or does your intake just pull air from the engine compartment?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default intake installation

Originally Posted by your PM message
my stock intake pulls it from the engine compartment i think the resinator is just their to make it quiet but if i do unhook my negative battery cable will reset my ecu?
Since it pulls from the engine compartment, I don't know how the resonator would help or hurt anything. Yes, it's only there to make it quiet, but other than weight it probably doesn't hurt.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM

i would just rather use the battery to reset the ecu so i just unhook the negative and im good it will reset?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that'll reset it.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 AM

In my opinion, removing the resonator is far more of a hassle than it's worth. You will not notice any power increase. You may notice a noise increase. You also run a greater risk of hydrolocking your engine since the air filter will be more exposed to the elements with the resonator removed.
I left my resonator in for the above reasons.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

why would you want to reset the ecu?

Quick Reply: intake installation