Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Muffler instead of catback

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Default Muffler instead of catback

Ok, its not worth putting $500 into my car as I will never get it back... not to meantion that I don't have the money... so I have read on this site that just a muffler can greatly improve horsepower... I'm wondering can I buy a muffler that can be attached to my stock piping?

Is this one good? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Megan-N1-Turbo-Mu...ayphotohosting...

I'm looking for one that allows me to lop off the stock muffler and weld on the new one...

Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Muffler instead of catback

Eh, you'll get a couple hp maybe. Although the stock muffler does restrict exhaust flow, catbacks give you more hp because you are increasing the diameter of piping by quite a bit. The extra diameter allows the exhaust to flow better and free up some backpressure which gains hp.

With that muffler, you will pay $95 with shipping. Plus anoterh 20ish or so if you have someone weld it on. If I were you, I would save a little over a hundred more and buy a generic catback off eBay. Research the quality first though. OBX also makes cat backs that are reasonably priced.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 PM

I got a megan racing N-1 style muffler off of a site for around $75 i think or somewhere close to that, i had mine custom done from the cat-back and that was $120 for the cat-back, but the guy said that is was like $30 or $40 for just putting the muffler on but my piping was bad enough that i just went with the whole thing.I can't remember the site right now, but when i get it, i'll post it

Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 PM

http://www.undergroundmotorsports.co...lmufflers.html here's the link, hope this helps

Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM

ok, but are you implying that a cheap jdm catback is a better buy than just getting a good muffler attached? Obx catbacks seem to cost about 200+ without shipping... then after that i'd have to rent a lift or pay someone to install... so i'm up to $400 getting that... the jdm will be $200 all in and then add in installation... but i don't want a loud sound... i just want more power without sacrificing comfort and i don't want te police after me

Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Or if you want, you can get a generic exhaust off eBay, and have that welded on. Putting on a brand named muffler or a generic won't make that much of a difference. So if you're just welding on a new muffler, you're better off just getting a generic muffler. However, if you want all brand named stuff, you can just buy a whole new exhaust catback system, but be ready to pay the price.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 PM

I bought an N1 style catback system off eBay for $188 shipped. I dedicated 2 hours to put it on myself so I didn't have to pay someone else to put it on. It looks and sounds awesome. With an aftermarket catback system, you will increase the diameter of the piping and generally the bends are smoother to more efficiently handle the back pressure. With a muffler you will only get a different sound, and should not add any significant power changes.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 PM

ok, but is that n1 style catback extremely loud? I don't want to attract low range attention... but also, how did you install it? do you have a lift?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM

It is kinda loud but it came with a silencer that's supposed to lower the sound by 7 db or so. I used a jack and some stands; it was kind of cramped but it's doable. You just take off the stock piping and heat shields using your common metric wrenches and lots of patience. Putting on the new exhaust system was kind of tricky to get everything to fit right and not rub on the underbelly of the car but it took a total of 2-3 hours for everything.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:01 PM

And do you use the silencer? All i want is the same as most people in that when I'm driving home late at night i don't want to wake anybody up... i don't want to draw unwanted attention in regular daily driving which is all this car is used for... if you can surely tell me that paying this amount of money will get me the extra power and a good sound then i will trust you and buy that n1 style catback.

Quick Reply: Muffler instead of catback