Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Muffler - sport but not too loud - what kind?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Default Muffler - sport but not too loud - what kind?

What kind of muffler/catback will give a sporty / throaty sound without being the loud *** "fart bomb" muffler? I dont want a loud muffler that the neighbors can hear every time i even start the car... just a little sound to give me a little feedback with the 5-speed...Budget is around no more then $125 bucks. I just need to replace the muffler that is on it. Rusted and falling apart...

what you guys runnin?

Edit: What about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-D...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Muffler - sport but not too loud - what kind?

For sport with quiet sound, we all like the GReddy SP2 and the Apexi WS2 (same design).
The GReddy EVO2 is a bit louder, but still a favorite.

I have the WS2 on my V6. Video

On a 4 cyl, the system is a bit louder due to higher flow through the muffler (I have 2), but the tone is the same.
While it seems very quiet, I can hear/feel a low-pitched rumble almost anywhere in my house when it is running in the driveway. The rumble is much quieter than the initial crank, so the crank part is a bit loud.

For a quieter muffler that is made to improve performance a bit without much added sound, I'd suggest a DynoMax Super-Turbo

Edit: Oh yeah ..... the OBX one that you posted may be loud ... maybe not with a stock mid-pipe though. The mid-pipe holds back a good amount of power and sound.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM

the diameter change is slight, but made a huge difference for me.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM

How about all new piping and a super turbo muffler? Will it sound like the WS2?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM

I've got a Magnaflow oval tip with custom piping. It sounds deep when you first start the car but then it smoothens out after you start moving. Not too loud and the oval tip makes it look nice.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: RoKnAzn

It depends on your piping size ...... use 2.25" or 60 mm ...... 55mm would be better I think though, but the WS2 uses 60mm piping on the i4 and V6 setups. What you posted is a header and illegal catalytic converter replacement. You are better off getting a system with a tuned resonator ..... maybe a Vibrant mid-pipe, but then again, it will add a decent amount of volume.

Spaz ..... the OEM pipe has a smaller pipe inside it ..... the new one is a simple pipe with much less resistance to flow ..... think about the surface area of the new pipe inside vs. the old inside + the inner pipe inside and outside with a smaller diameter to work with.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

ORIGINAL: RoKnAzn

It depends on your piping size ...... use 2.25" or 60 mm ...... 55mm would be better I think though, but the WS2 uses 60mm piping on the i4 and V6 setups. What you posted is a header and illegal catalytic converter replacement. You are better off getting a system with a tuned resonator ..... maybe a Vibrant mid-pipe, but then again, it will add a decent amount of volume.

Spaz ..... the OEM pipe has a smaller pipe inside it ..... the new one is a simple pipe with much less resistance to flow ..... think about the surface area of the new pipe inside vs. the old inside + the inner pipe inside and outside with a smaller diameter to work with.

Vibrant Mid-Pipe cost around $250 Shipped? Would it just be better just to order the WS2 for $500? IDK, This is just alot of money for a 15 year old car that I just DD....I just want more performance without all the loud noise....

Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM

well, 2.25 would offer the best performance, but you might want to use 2" to keep it quieter ..... it's not easy to tell the outcome of an untested system ..... acoustics can do funny things, but I think this system should be good ..... maybe if you can find an OEM resonator and put it in the stock location? For the cat, just use OEM or Catco. Random Technologies is the performance one, but you have no need for it with this system and build and they're expensive (~$350).

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

well, 2.25 would offer the best performance, but you might want to use 2" to keep it quieter ..... it's not easy to tell the outcome of an untested system ..... acoustics can do funny things, but I think this system should be good ..... maybe if you can find an OEM resonator and put it in the stock location? For the cat, just use OEM or Catco. Random Technologies is the performance one, but you have no need for it with this system and build and they're expensive (~$350).
I was thinking about using the 18" MagnaFlow Resonator, MagnaFlow Dual Tips and maybe use my stock cat.....Man, IDK what I want....

Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM

What do you want it to sound like compared to my videos, or even better, the 4 cylinder ones that Spaz has posted ..... maybe He'll help you with some links.

Quick Reply: Muffler - sport but not too loud - what kind?