Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Need Advice on Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Marffle
Unregistered
Default Need Advice on Cold Air Intake

I have a 1996 accord ex and am looking at getting a cold air intake as my first performance upgrade. Unfortunately, I know very little about modifying my car as I'm just starting. Is a cold air intake the right way to go for one of the first performance upgrades? Also, which brand and/or what kind of cold air intake should I get (I think I've been told AEM ought to be the best, but I can't remember). I'm looking for any and all opinions, so if you want to give me advice on this and anything else, I'm all ears. Just trying to teach myself right now. Thanks!
-Mark

Old 02-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Need Advice on Cold Air Intake

if they make it for your car AEMv2 coldair i hear is the best out right now

you can check out www.modacar.com and see if they have anything for you i have some other sites too if that one doesnt work out

Old 02-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the aem v2 is the only cold air i would ever use. aem has realized the technology that make short ram intakes so good and thats sound. the v2 resonates the sound like a short ram and is specially tuned to send the rarfaction wave back into the chamber at the perfect time.

lightshow

Old 02-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Marffle
Unregistered

Thanks, that clears up a lot for me. I have found the AEM v2 for my car, so I'm definitly going with that.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM

On the topic of intakes, have any of you had problems with hydro-lock in your engines? I've heard from the majority that the filter has to be ENTIRELY submerged in water for that to happen. I'm just wondering because I'm throwing an AEM intake into my 91 Accord in a couple of weeks.

Any stories of anyone's filters sucking enough water up to damage the engine?

Sean

Old 02-08-2006, 06:23 PM

Last time I went to my local shop the mechanic was working on a car with that problem. I've heard both sides of the story on water ingestion. If you don't want to have to worry about it just buy an AEM bypass valve for your intake. It'll run you like $50.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:20 PM

hydrolock with a cold air intake is extremely easy. hydrolock with a short ram treads on almost impossible unless you drive it into a lake. ive driven through the fattest puddles possible with mine and no problems. with a cold air, your wheel well will completely fill up with water pretty easy, the bypass valve is an absolute must or just dont drive it in the rain at all.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 PM

As said in another topic, hydrolock doesnt happen if you set it up right. I've had a cold air intake without a bypass for 5 months now and driven in heavy rain more then once. More water got on the filter on the as a short ram then as a cold air. After all water can get pulled in from the sides of the hood as well. Ultimately setting up the cold air should be how your wheel well is designed and If theres open direct flow between the filter and the outside of the bumper

Old 02-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Why shouldn't that guy got an injen race dev. I have only heard great things from their cold air intakes, my friend has one on his accord and he loves the thing

Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM

YUP ^

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Cold Air Intake