Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Need some advice on creating less air flow restriction.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Default Need some advice on creating less air flow restriction.

So there's a guy around here that has been tuning Hondas, Acuras, Nissans, Subarus, and others for a very long time. He's well known, and does really good work. Even better news is that he does it on the side and for about $130, which is totally affordable.

I'm going to get my car tuned soon, and I'm looking to make the engine less restrictive to air flow.

First question, how restrictive are the heads on the f23's? I don't have money to have head work done, but I'm looking at other components (intake, TB, IM, EM, etc) that I could modify/replace to allow more air to flow before I get it tuned. I saw a guy on youtube quoting 170hp on the dyno with a stock f23 and an intake and exhaust. Not sure what the "exhaust" consisted of, but I assume just headers and maybe a less restrictive muffler.

I'm not sure about increasing the exhaust pipe much. I know they're engineered to be a specific size to get the air out fast and I rarely rev high.

What would you guys recommend I do to make it less restrictive before I get the stock f23 dyno tuned?

Open to any tips. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

A few comments:
  • Honda does a pretty good job with their plumbing to keep restricitons pretty low.
  • Any changes you make to open up breathing at the top end of the RPM spectrum will most likely come with losses in mid-range torque which can actually make your car feel slower in day-to-day driving.
  • Then only way to have your cake and eat it too (i.e. significantly improve mid-range torque and top end horse power) is to go the route of forced induction; and slice it and dice it anyway you want, forced induction ain't cheap.