Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Newb wanting to increase HP

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:28 PM
WhiteWolf
Unregistered
Default Newb wanting to increase HP

New to the forums and cars in general, as my accord is the first car I've gotten to play around with. So I have a lot to learn since I'm now the most car savy person in my house because I learned how to do a tune up :/ not a good thing. I've talked with a few friends who are more car savy than I and we've pretty much come up with a cold air intake would be a good semi cheap/affordable way to start on my car.
Any ideas what I should work on to get more HP out of my engine? (if possible lots of info on why would be greatly appreciated)
Budget: $300+ (time will add more to car funding )

Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Newb wanting to increase HP

Intake and header.

OBX or Megan header
w/e intake as long as it has a good filter

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 PM

best bang for your buck would probably be a header. as far as hp per $ like, Megan or OBX as mentioned above. might be able to afford an intake too..

Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 PM

Since you live in calif, like me, that means the header and intake will need to be CARB exempt in order to pass smog, unless you have a hook up. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

save a little for an exhaust, forget about a header and get the cheapest SRI off of ebay that you can find and put a name brand filter on it. After the exhaust, while you are saving for the filter and SRI, you can take the resonator out of the bumper to free up the intake a bit.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

save a little for an exhaust, forget about a header and get the cheapest SRI off of ebay that you can find and put a name brand filter on it. After the exhaust, while you are saving for the filter and SRI, you can take the resonator out of the bumper to free up the intake a bit.
He lives in Cali so he can't do this. he has to buy products with "carb" stickers (i.e. DC sports, etc..) Your $300 budget will likely only get you an intake. That would be my first upgrade if I were you. You can get a carb stickered one for around $250 or so. It'll give you a few extra hp.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM

oh yeah .... your right .... gonna have to find a good looking CARB sticker to throw on there also.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

oh yeah .... your right .... gonna have to find a good looking CARB sticker to throw on there also.
haha! NICE! If only those little stickers were easy to come by. People in Cali wouldn't have to spend so much on mods. The stupid thing about it is, the items that actually have the carb stickers are no better than many that don't. They just pay the government so they can have exclusive sales in California with little to no competition.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 PM

take the sticker off an intake at an junkyard. spread some glue on the back and put it on your new intake.

bang problem solved

but seriously, dont put exhaust header on.
they only increase peak hp, overall they lower hp in the lower RPMs... and in the mids i think... and thats where most of your driving occurs.
headers = bleh.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM

CARB is the sux0rz!! That whole sticker idea is great. I had a fipk on my expedition and whenever I would try to pass smog they would ask for it. I took the sticker off because it was about to fall off so I just kept it on the glove compartment. I wonder if I could have kept that sticker when I sold it (that would have been jacked) and put it on an ebay SRI for my accord? lol

As other people have said, I haven't put a header on because it cuts in low end torque, and for my style of driving I wouldn't benefit too much from it.

Quick Reply: Newb wanting to increase HP