Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Phase 2 (Received my headers....now what?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Phase 2 (Received my headers....now what?)

Sounds like its working out well! I think it will sound pretty good....if I could go back I probably would have went with the Magnaflow exhaust as I have heard them and they sound really nice. Oh well.....Maybe my exhaust will get louder on its own. Anyways, as for Slusher I did the cat back and header install and def. noticed a difference. I mean, it wasnt like I was in a Viper but you can tell it freed up a couple of hp. The headers are really nice quality, the welds are good and the thickness of the steel is nice to. Its one of those time whens you expect something of cheaper quality and get surprised that there is a company that makes quality thins for less

Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Oh yeah, and to reassure you like 95SiR said the 2.25 inch exhaust is about the maximum you can go before your performance actually starts to go down. The only time you need something bigger is if you plan to turbo.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:48 PM

Thanks 19Aaccord97 for the info. I have started hosing down all the nuts and bolts with liquid wrench now and picked up an O2 sensor socket too. I have a lot of other misc. tools and what not but is there going to be anything else special that I should get to do the install? I just don't want to get things apart and then have to back track the whole process. BostonPuppydawg, is the header on? Let us know how it goes.
Thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 11:24 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Nope sounds like you have pretty much everything, just make sure you get ALL of the bolts and nuts especially underneath the car near the catylic convertor where the bolts will probably be the toughest to get off. They might also break, so be prepared if you have to go buy a couple more. Be sure to spray the o2 sensor as well. Note that when I got my headers installed, the o2 sensor would not come out and I had to buy another o2 sensor which was around $150 at it wasnt even from the factory, just a precaution. Are you just installing headers or an exhaust too?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:51 PM

Glad to hear the exhaust comes out pretty easy. Did you remove the heat sheild on the manifold to soak those studs? I have yet to do that. What is the best process for removing the old exhaust, start at the cat and move forward? Just looking to keep the whole process moving smoothly. I appreciate your experience with this.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah, I removed the heat shield as it allows you to spray all the studs. The heat shield comes off, it just takes a little moving around b/c the hoses are in the way. You've got it, starting at the back is the easiest but depending on how rusted or "frozen" the bolts are you may need a torch to cut them off. My best advice is to soak every bolt as much as you can at least 2 weeks prior to removing everything. Liquid Wrench will also smoke, I had little pools of it on my manifold and after driving I bagan seeing smoke coming out from under the hood but it was just the burning of Liquid Wrench, just try to wipe the excess off. If you cut the bolts off you will need new ones, and examine your old exhaust rubber hangers to see whether you need new ones or not. I replaced two just because and they cost about $3 each. I would highly recomend having a friend or two help you and planning on taking at least a day in case you run into any unexpected problems. Plus you can use their car if you need to run somewhere and getany parts just buy em' lunch. haha

Old 09-19-2006, 12:15 AM

Thanks for the tips. I won't get my header for a while, slow shipping, but it will give me plenty of time to let her soak.
Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

No problem at all, glad to help. Good luck with everything too! Also try going on cardomain.com and searching for Accords and see what they've done or wished they would have done, maybe someone will have posted something useful. if not, at least you'll see a bunch of cool Accords!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 AM

Cool, I'll check it out! Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:42 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Anytime

Quick Reply: Phase 2 (Received my headers....now what?)