Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Questions on Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Lightbulb Questions on Intake

Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile but I have a couple of questions. Ok, so I have made up my mind about whether or not to get CAI or SRI after researching many threads I have came to the conclusion that living in FL down in Ft. Myers, where its over 90 degrees about 3/4's of the year that CAI is the smarter choice in my opinion. That being said it also rains a lot, I am not paranoid about hydrolock but I do know to stay away from puddles and that "**** happens". Anyways, I want to get a bypass valve for my intake but I have heard from a couple of people that this takes away from the gains you would normally get from a CAI without one. Is this true?? And if so is it even worth me getting CAI or do you guys suggest me just leaving my intake without the bypass valve?? Sorry my post was so long just wanted you guys to know all the details lol. Anyways thanks for reading and please post if you have any ideas they are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member

it really comes down to what you really want out of your car..is just a DD or do you plan tuning it for the track? if you're worried about gains, you wont be getting much anyways.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Its a DD but I would take it to the track every so often to get numbers just to see. But i guess my main question was whether or not the bypass valve would affect the CAI's preformance.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Honda01Accord
Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile but I have a couple of questions. Ok, so I have made up my mind about whether or not to get CAI or SRI after researching many threads I have came to the conclusion that living in FL down in Ft. Myers, where its over 90 degrees about 3/4's of the year that CAI is the smarter choice in my opinion. That being said it also rains a lot, I am not paranoid about hydrolock but I do know to stay away from puddles and that "**** happens". Anyways, I want to get a bypass valve for my intake but I have heard from a couple of people that this takes away from the gains you would normally get from a CAI without one. Is this true?? And if so is it even worth me getting CAI or do you guys suggest me just leaving my intake without the bypass valve?? Sorry my post was so long just wanted you guys to know all the details lol. Anyways thanks for reading and please post if you have any ideas they are greatly appreciated.
I live in Miami and that's the exact reason why i didn't get a CAI. It rains a lot in FL. The "heat lag" thing with the SRI isn't a big deal, even a myth according to some folks.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i have a cai in oregon. i think we might have more rain than florida. i have 0 problems

Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea im not worried about hydrolock i've asked around and you've basically have to completely submerge your filter in water for it to hydrolock. So i am def going CAI, but noones answered my question still lol anyone know??

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

iv never heard of it taking gains away. ive heard it causes more damage then with out on. as long as you dont semerge it youll be good, and the by pass valve has been said to slowly break apart causing a little pieces of foam to the engine.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Really. wow. ok thanks really glad you told me that lol. Well while im running this thread i have one more question...sry. But i have an automatic tranny, will i need to change this to manual for future mods???

Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

for just an i/h/e setup your current tranny will be fine, but it wont hold up if you slap on a turbo or nitrous, or even a well built n/a motor. but keep in mind the 6th gen auto trannys are the worst things honda has ever built, and you will be replacing it eventually anways

Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Honda01Accord
Really. wow. ok thanks really glad you told me that lol. Well while im running this thread i have one more question...sry. But i have an automatic tranny, will i need to change this to manual for future mods???

I was just thinking the same thing. I also have an auto, and have plans for a SRI, headers, Magnaflow exhaust, (maybe) a new throttle body, but thats about it. If I dont have the money for a new car after that, I'll probably just swap it to a manual. What other mods did you have in mind?

-$tanley

Quick Reply: Questions on Intake