Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

running a straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Default running a straight pipe

Alright well I want my car to be louder and sound "meaner" I am already planning on getting a short ram intake or CAI. My muffler is all rusted and falling apart, Would my car sound "meaner" if I just removed the muffler and current pipe and just ran a 2.5-3" pipe from my catalyic converter, just the pipe no muffler? how hard would it be to install and how many feel of straight pipe should I buy? im pretty set on doing this btw. As long as it dont hurt my car or effect gas too much., I heard you can gain a few horsepower too.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: running a straight pipe

I would just bring it to an exhaust shop to do, as the pipe is not just straight from the cat back. It would be very loud, and also very illegal. Also keep in mind that it is also illegal to have the exhaust exit before the rear tires.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 PM

well how can I make my car louder and better sounding per say without spending a ton, I dont have $500 to spend on a exhaust kit or even $100... well not yet anyway.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

could just buy a universal muffler such as flowmaster or something, or dare I say a fartcan.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM

I think they are around $80 at my autozone but could I attach it myself or would I need a shop to do it? rates in my town are riduculous something like $75 an hour.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

if you are interested in fartcans I could supply you with a ractive one for $20ish(would have to confirm with my friend on the price).

You could possibly install one yourself, but it would not be done right as I assume you do not have a welder.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Something like an exhaust yo always want to leave that up to the professionals and people who know what there doing...

not that you dont.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 PM

does it sound decent at least? and ya sure i'd be interested in buying that... and to who said I didnt know how, you would be completely right lol.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

idk, it sounds like a fartcan, if you have heard one you have heard them all, just search youtube for videos or something to get the sound.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You are an eager and ambitious young chap.. I admire that.. reminds me of when i was your age,and i know you have a truck load of questions,which is good,thy we ae here... we all need answers eventually,but in these last few days you have touched on everything with your car but a feature that will allow it to do a back flip,theres only so much you can do at a time,your going to drive yourself crazy like when i did when i first car.. Slow and steady..Money isnt abundant.

But keep it up.

Quick Reply: running a straight pipe