Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

short ram intake sucking in hot air?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Default short ram intake sucking in hot air?

i was at yahoo answers and i saw someone say
ok,
with all of thoes ur gonna get a 3 hp gain....
it doenst matter whats on the box,. ur not gonna fell the gain... u might hear the intake but nothing esle.... with out tuning that intake is gonna do you nothing.......

and get the cold air, the short ram just sucks up the hot air

now im worried, because i just ordered my AEM sri yesterday and i may have wasted my money?
or does this guy not know what hes talking about?

cause it does make sense how it just sucks up the hot air from the engine bay, cause it can get pretty got under there, the other day, i thought my front upper strut bar was going to melt under the heat, lol

Old 04-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: short ram intake sucking in hot air?

An intake is better than stock, regardless CAI or SRI. I chose the SRI because of three reasons.

1) Ease of installation
2)Ease of cleaning
3) No fear of hydrolock

If you install it correctly, the gain would be 5-7....depending on your engine. 6 cylinders gain a lot more from intakes. However, there is a misconception that the SRI pulls in hot air, while the CAI always pulls in cold air. WRONG. At some given cruising speed, the temperature of the air is negated. Plus, the positioning of the CAI is poor...no air pressure. So you need to rev up higher to feel it.

The first day when I was testing my SRI...I was amazed at its performance. When you install it, be sure to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. The acceralation is much, much quicker because the intake is closer to the engine. Where I should have gone 80, I was going 120. Thank god there were no cops on 70.

SRI is definately worth it, especially where I live, Maryland, where it's really wet. You're be happy with it regardless. My SRI was Injen so I re-routed some coolant lines and what not so the design is more straightforward. AEM installation utilizes the stock coolant lines and prechamber...dunno how that is going to go down.

Plus, I plan on turboing this beast, when the prices drop. So SRI is more beneficial.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:14 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Dont listen to the haters. An SRI is better than nothing. You might gain a couple more hp with a CAI, but the fact is, you really arent going to "feel" anything less than a ~10 hp gain. Why would so many people on this forum (many of whom know a LOT about cars, mind you) recommend an SRI if it was, in fact, worthless?

And 03Sleeper has it right, at cruising speed, the SRI isnt pulling in hot air. So, does it matter to you that the CAI might have suck better air when sitting still? If you arent moving, it doesnt matter, you arent using hp anyway.

So the short and sweet of it is, you are gaining hp over stock by getting your AEM intake. When you put it on, let us know how it goes.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:43 PM

alright, thanks guys, you brought back my confidence in my purchase
lol, i will have pictures once i get it installed
hopefully in a few days or so

Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Excellent. Remember to loosen any bolts/screws with lube to make the removal process easier. I used dish soap...because I didn't have any WD-40...

Total time should take you around 1 to 1.5 hours. It took 2 because the screws were caked on with a ridiculously amount of slime. (For one year....ONE measly year, I kept my car outside. Shows you what Maryland acid rain can do to the car.)

Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM

wtf, i thought it was going to take 5-25 minutes to install

Old 04-08-2007, 08:36 PM

it only should take about 10-15 minutes..

I install the SRI on my son's integra .. my reasons being

# 1 ,, I have replaced a few customer's engines due to hydrolocking ( water in the engine)
# 2 ,, here in AZ during monsoon season the water puddle get pretty deep pretty fast and a lot of them,
# 3 ,, a full cold air would be a lot closer to the ground and in the AZ summer heat , it would not be a cold air intake but a HOT air intake, the heat that comes off the ground , is A LOT hotter than the heat in the engine compartment
# 4 ,, a lot cheaper as well

Old 04-08-2007, 08:57 PM

It was the first intake I removed...so it took a while longer. Besides, all my bolts were really bolted down and hard to remove. As long as your engine bay is clean, I estimate 10-25 minutes.

Actually, I installed another 7th gen intake, took me 35 minutes. And that includes jacking the car and removing the bumper/wheel to remove the resonator.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

it only should take about 10-15 minutes..

I install the SRI on my son's integra .. my reasons being

# 1 ,, I have replaced a few customer's engines due to hydrolocking ( water in the engine)
# 2 ,, here in AZ during monsoon season the water puddle get pretty deep pretty fast and a lot of them,
# 3 ,, a full cold air would be a lot closer to the ground and in the AZ summer heat , it would not be a cold air intake but a HOT air intake, the heat that comes off the ground , is A LOT hotter than the heat in the engine compartment
# 4 ,, a lot cheaper as well

wait..... the 120 degree heat outside is hotter then the 200 degree heat that the engine builds up to?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 PM

no, but the floor probablly is
during my visit to AZ, the floor was so hot that my feet were burning, i just had to go find some shade

Quick Reply: short ram intake sucking in hot air?