Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Sorry... another CAI or Short ram intake thread.. 05 accord 4cyl ex

Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Sorry... another CAI or Short ram intake thread.. 05 accord 4cyl ex

Thread CLOSED

Last edited by Arielit0oo; 09-21-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Supper Moderator

cold air intake with a bypass valve is the way to go. Bypass valve stops the intake from suckin up water soy our engine dosnt hydolock

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM

If you were to just search a couple of the sri vs cai threads in the forum, you would find your anwsers...The cai will require a little more work and for you to clean the filter a little more, but that is because its soo close to the ground, and can pick up more dirt...Hydrolock is everyones big fear, but to be honest you need to completely submerge the filter in water to even come close to hydrolocking it... Cai's offer a little more horsepower than sri's, but for the most part, it is at the high end of the rpm range... Also if you plan on running a air bypass valve to prevent water damage, you are getting the same effect and power gains as a sri... Sri's can offer a little better throttle response, but it would be to miniscule for you to know the difference... Depending on the short ram you buy, will depend on the amount of hot air it ingests... The power difference you will feel from a cai and sri will be about the same... IMO id say get a CAI...Mine is actually both a cai and a sri, just has a removabel pipe to make the change... Ive got my filter in the engine bay right above the whole in the pass side fender well, with a cover on it(same effects as cai, but no risk of hydrolock)...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Administrator
Wink Search Button Still Works New Members

Please try it out for easy information...

Also.....Try clicking onto the K&N Website..they are our sponsors and there web site is a wealth of information also.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Sorry... another CAI or Short ram intake thread.. 05 accord 4cyl ex-69-1208ts.jpg   Sorry... another CAI or Short ram intake thread.. 05 accord 4cyl ex-69-1500twrhp13typhoon.jpg   Sorry... another CAI or Short ram intake thread.. 05 accord 4cyl ex-95%7E99-eclipsecai.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Supper Moderator

if you use this AEM bypass valve you reduce the heat soak (b/c its really hard to completely eliminate heat soak) and hydro locking. This AEM one ^^^^ only opens when there is water suction otherwise it stays closed
something like this. This just acts like another little filter and you still get heat soak just as SRI

Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks guys, its great information. I wouldn't mind cleaning a little bit more for a CAI. My fear is abt the hydrolocking. And how much are those bypass valves?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 AM

They are about 40 to 50 dollars...

Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry if you guys are repeating this for the millionth time but this is the only site that has helped me on this topic lol. I've really looked up a lot of info and still didn't really get all the details. So basically, with a cai, I have to clean the filter more and buy a valve to prevent water from being sucked up. Cai gets colder air, sri gets hotter air, but it really won't make such a huge difference right?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Supper Moderator

I wouldn’t say that. I ahve had both types of intakes and I cleaned them at the same time...like every 3 or 4 oil changes. I also dont have a fender cover so my filter is exposed if you look under my car and I dont really notice much a diff. in how dirty it gets maybe say 10% dirtier thats about it.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Arielit0oo
Sorry if you guys are repeating this for the millionth time but this is the only site that has helped me on this topic lol. I've really looked up a lot of info and still didn't really get all the details. So basically, with a cai, I have to clean the filter more and buy a valve to prevent water from being sucked up. Cai gets colder air, sri gets hotter air, but it really won't make such a huge difference right?
Its not a problem... Thats what the forum is for... You dont have to clean the filter all the time, either way... I clean mine about once a month, but i drive on alot of dirt roads... You can buy a bypass valve to prevent water from being sucked up when the filter is completly submerged, but depending on where you live, would depend on how much you would need one...Cold air intakes do recieve colder air, and short ram intakes get warmer air as the filter is in the engine compartment and of course cooler air will yeild more power, but it gives you the more power at the higher end of the rpm range... Also the normal driver, will not be able to notice the 3hp difference you gain from one or the other...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sorry... another CAI or Short ram intake thread.. 05 accord 4cyl ex