Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Short Ram
57.89%
Cold Air
42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

SRI or CAI ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default SRI or CAI ?

one question: SRI or CAI
So basically Im trying to decide between a short ram intake and a Cold air intake...,
right now im leaning toward a sri, because I dont hear the greatest things about cold air intake flowage, and ive read that they can actually decrease hp from the stock airbox. Is this true? Also, I live in wisconsin, where it rains a lot, so would that be a problem?
so what do you think?
CAI or SRI...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Default RE: SRI or CAI ?

thats weird because i have heard many good things about CAI's and i have not heard anything about SRI's. i am coming close to getting a fujita CAI which i have heard is a good CAI, and it is the only onei found which is compatible with my MAF sensor (i live in california).

Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM

really? what have you heard about SRIs thats bad?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:04 PM

this subject comes up alot. i think its really a matter of preference. but supposedly sri's have better lowend power due to the short tube but cai's have bettter high end power because of the cold air. sri's have the filter high in the engine bay where the air can get pretty hot from the engine and the cai's have their filters low in the fender well where the air doesnt get as hot from the engine. if youre considering a cai but youre worried about water you can get a bypass valvebut ive heard bad things about those too. some say you lose power from a bypass valve and that if it gets too old and deteriorate it can get sucked into your cylinders. alot of guys on gen7accord claim they have cai's and drive in the rain with no bypass valve and theyre fine. some even live in areas with alot of rain. they say as long as you dont completely submerge the filter you should be fine. as long as you dont drive in puddles past the bottom of your bumper you should be safe. this is really only what i remember from reading about the stuff . so i might be wrong search the forum and read it yourself

Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: HuYnHness

this subject comes up alot. i think its really a matter of preference. but supposedly sri's have better lowend power due to the short tube but cai's have bettter high end power because of the cold air. sri's have the filter high in the engine bay where the air can get pretty hot from the engine and the cai's have their filters low in the fender well where the air doesnt get as hot from the engine. if youre considering a cai but youre worried about water you can get a bypass valvebut ive heard bad things about those too. some say you lose power from a bypass valve and that if it gets too old and deteriorate it can get sucked into your cylinders. alot of guys on gen7accord claim they have cai's and drive in the rain with no bypass valve and theyre fine. some even live in areas with alot of rain. they say as long as you dont completely submerge the filter you should be fine. as long as you dont drive in puddles past the bottom of your bumper you should be safe. this is really only what i remember from reading about the stuff . so i might be wrong search the forum and read it yourself
ive heard the bypass valve doesnt make the airflow as smooth, which would explain the lack of power in some people. i personally pefer a SRI for daily driving. i like the ease of maintenance with the whole thing. ive had to remove the intake arm many times for certain things. the air filter im sure stays cleaner too, which equates to greater gas mileage and slightly increased performance due to less obstructions. the temperature difference between the two is literally only a few degrees.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM

thanks, im pretty sure im guna go with a SRI. But one more question...
Are those $15 SRI's on ebay worth anything? why would anyone pay $120 for a aluminum pipe if they can get one off ebay for $15?
Would it be possible to buy one of those ebay ones and put a K&N (or similar) filter on it? Cuz a $15 pipe ill trust... a $15 air filter... nah.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

thanks, im pretty sure im guna go with a SRI. But one more question...
Are those $15 SRI's on ebay worth anything? why would anyone pay $120 for a aluminum pipe if they can get one off ebay for $15?
Would it be possible to buy one of those ebay ones and put a K&N (or similar) filter on it? Cuz a $15 pipe ill trust... a $15 air filter... nah.
yes, you can. it's a good idea if you dont live in cali. get a cheap tube, an Apexi filter and youve got yourself a good setup my friend. my setup is like that, cuz i have no idea what brand my intake is, lol. remember, the less angle of bends, the better. mine is a good example of how the tubing should look.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I live in California and was wondering if I can just get an Apexi filter that works with the stock intake piping.

http://gen5alive.com/store/index.php...e44189952cfa18

Will this be legal or will I have to get a C.A.R.B. exempt intake?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: superballz00

I live in California and was wondering if I can just get an Apexi filter that works with the stock intake piping.

http://gen5alive.com/store/index.php...e44189952cfa18

Will this be legal or will I have to get a C.A.R.B. exempt intake?
that is perfectly legal, i just asked the admin.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 PM

So then do i have to get some sort of special cone filter? or do they all come about the same... like different sizes or something.

Quick Reply: SRI or CAI ?