Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Still Debating About Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Default Still Debating About Mufflers

Hi-

It's been a while since I've been in here. Been battling some health issues.

I find myself again feeling a bit tempted to put some turbos or some type of freer breathing mufflers on the '05 Honda Accord Hybrid V-6. I know they aren't likehot intakes would be, but I know so little about the tech angles on cars, I just hate to risk putting something like that on it, if it happened it would fit, only to have either the high end or low end performance wiped. With easier breathing mufflers, I don't see how much could get fouled up, and it might even help it a bit, don't know.

Someone once recommended a type of muffler for my particular machine, but I forget what they called them. By now, the thread is probably 20 threads deep or more.

Does anyone recall (know)what type would be good for my car?

Thanks-

Old 05-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Still Debating About Mufflers

I didn't mind Flowmasters when I had them, the 60 or 80 Series Delta Flow would do the trick for you, but you will lose low end torque.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks so much, Finch, for that info! That definitely gives me something to think over.

Take care,

Old 05-04-2008, 08:44 PM

No prob. Are you going for a stock sound or performance or what? The more you free up exhaust flow, the more low end you lose to a point. If you get a Flowmaster or Magnaflo or anything, I would powder coat or paint it first. My old Flowmaster was pretty rusty after only a year.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 AM

I'm more for performance than noise, actually. I once tried a Flowmaster or similiar on a little Ford ZX2. It was loud, but the performance went rock bottom. I replaced it with a turbo muffler with more back pressure, and the performance became better than the stock muffler. It looks like I need something like a turbo with less restriction, but not too little restriction. Thanks for that tip about coating them.

I don't know how those would sound on this particular car. This car's exhaust "Y's" off splits into two pipes with a muffler each right behind the rear bumper. To me, it's a phony dual exhaust if it doesn't have two separate pipes off the engine. The catalytic conv. is near the front on the main exhaust pipe.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Finch, do you feel that a freer flow muffler, turbo, or whatever, really does add to the overall pep of your car?

Thanks-

Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Hello 05hybrid..I would suggest you take a look at our Sponsor www.tasauto.com

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM

I don't do credit cards. I'll look to be passing time, however.

Thanks~

Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 AM

I did ask them the type mufflers I would need to get maximum pep with minimal noise.

Thanks again-

Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 AM

Well, you will free up a lot of exhaust flow, which will help your engine rev a lot easier. It won't add a ton of power, especially to a hybrid.

Quick Reply: Still Debating About Mufflers