Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

The Ten-Billionth Intake Q Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Default The Ten-Billionth Intake Q Thread...

Okay, so I am driving a bone stock 1996 Accord LX 2.2 4 door 5 spd. I am very satisfied with the car but would like to prevent the power drain that occurs on hot days (even without the AC on). That said I am not willing to risk a cold air intake as this is my DD and needs to be ready to go on a moment's notice regardless of weather. I am also unwilling to spend $200 bucks on an intake so the big names are out of the question.

My question is this: will I notice a gain in power if I use a heat shield filter verses simply using a cone filter and short ram setup? I understand the concept but it seems to me that you are restricting air flow.

Also, any advice on the Ractive brand?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 PM

You may want to just do a forum search... This is more than the ten billionth intake question, and anything you could ever fathom to know is in multiple threads here...

Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Okay, so I got my Ractive intake yesterday and I have one Q...

There is an outlet nub on the intake pipe for the PCV (?) valve but there is a smaller outlet nub that coresponds to where the wire bundles attach to the stock air intake. The smaller one, like the PCV valeve outlet, is open and I am concerned that dirt could enter. Am I missing something or should I find some way to plug this thing?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about???

Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 PM

is this similar to the intake in question???

Old 06-19-2010, 09:26 PM

If so than the other nub is for another vaccum line..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 PM

I'll try to snap an underhood pic in the daylight tomorrow. It is similar except mine is a SRI. Could be that I have overlooked the stock vaccum line but I don't think so. (If that's the case I'll feel really dumb... )

Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Dont feel dumb... Everyone makes mistakes... That is a short ram/cold air... But both of the nubs should be for vaccum... If not, go to your local auto parts store, and buy a breather that will fit on it... Buddy of mine had to do this on his SRI on his civic hatch...

Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 PM

If there is no stock vacuum line that goes to it, put a rubber plug on it. Do not leave it open.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM

I have removed the stock intake and there is definately no line there. I have rigged a plug that will get me to the auto parts store.

What specifically are the rubber plugs you mentioned valerie? I'm not opposed to the breather filter but if there is a cheaper solution that is just as effective that would be super.

Thanks to all for your help!

Quick Reply: The Ten-Billionth Intake Q Thread...