Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

VTEC Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Default VTEC Engagement

I have a 1999 Accord LX 5-spd with the VTEC 4-cyl. I know what VTEC is and i love the sound of it but it hits very low, around 2200rpm. Is their anyway to get it to hit at a higher RPM. i know it wouldn't make it faster but it would just sound cooler when VTEC engages. Thanks

Old 01-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Default RE: VTEC Engagement

u can here ur vtec kick in???? wow, never knew that u can hear ur vtec on the accord engine....i guess wat u can do is bolt on stuff, i/h/e and different ecu chipped, that way u can adjust the vtec engagement pt and u might hear it kick in harder....

Old 01-08-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: F23AccordLX

I have a 1999 Accord LX 5-spd with the VTEC 4-cyl. I know what VTEC is and i love the sound of it but it hits very low, around 2200rpm. Is their anyway to get it to hit at a higher RPM. i know it wouldn't make it faster but it would just sound cooler when VTEC engages. Thanks
I shouldn't kick in that low. I doubt it does. [&:]

Old 01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea unless you have a vtec controller (which would allow you to change the point of vtec by the way) you vtec engages at around 4500 rpm, thats what all the accords are set at. get an intake and you be able to distinguish the difference easily. what you probably feeling is the vacuum secondaries in you intake manifold. when you loafing around in your car, your intake realizes this so it closes off some of the passages in your intake to speed up the airflow. when you dump it, the butterflies swing open to let in maximum flow. this change can be easily felt at about 3/4 throttle if you look for it.

lightshow

Old 01-09-2006, 01:51 AM

vtec controller is juss a waste of money, the vafcI or II is a piggy bak unit that alter the a/f ratio and allow u to change the vtec kick in, but it really suck if u runnin on stock engine and stock ecu...best advice, leave it alone, get i/h/e and tune it, u'll like it more...or swap k24...u'll gonna luv it ....=)

Old 01-09-2006, 11:06 AM

K24 in a 6th Gen...pfft. I'm waiting on that.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 AM

for one thing, it's not the v-tech you're hearing kick in, it's your exhaust that you hear. i have the same with my vvt-i, when i turn off the overdrive, or when i let go of the gas and gas it a second later. and yeah, it is turning on too soon. usually v-tech kicks in around 4k rmps, get that checked with your dealership or dealership shop.
(btw: vvt-i is on my '04 corolla, not on my accord)

Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM

When all i had was an Intake on my car i didn't really notice a difference in sound around 4500 RPM, i only noticed the difference if say, i was at 1700RPM and i mashed the throttle, you hear something engage in the engine at around 2200-2300RPM and it sounds kinda like VTEC.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 PM

No way it could be VTEC at 2200RPMs. You can't really hear VTEC kick in for my car. I notice an increase in power in the high RPMs and some people I race tell me they can hear the exhaust kick it up a bit around that point, but thats about it.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:43 PM

hey guys was wondering if any1 can help me with this issue. I just read a while ago in this thread that you cant really hear the VTEC kick in.. i know a few ppl with preludes thatpreludesayI should hear it kick in.. plus the guy that works on my car for me says the same thing.. you should hear it kick in and he cant. i have an intake, headers and an exhaust on it ( 98 ex, manual) so its a bit loud as is..
if your not supposed to hear it then how do u know it kicked in?
the guy took off the VTEC solenoid as per haynes instructiona nd presses the lil plunger to make sure it was smooth.. what worries me is that is smooth but then it hits a "notch" and continues inwards and pops out. i cant describe it any better. imagine pushing it down, and as go down a certain ways, its feels like it hits a button or something and then continues but with the finger you can definitely push it down, however if the soleniod doesnt provide enough pressure it may be as if it gets stuck there. has anyone taken off that soleniod and tried pushing their plunger to check it? do you knwo if its supposed to have that lil notch? that is the main question i have..?

Quick Reply: VTEC Engagement