Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Who wants the nipple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Who wants the nipple?

no EGR = worse MPG

At idle, EGR mixes exhaust gas so less fuel can be used and still result in a good AF mixture. Exhaust gas has very little O2 left in it to change the mixture. Less fresh air = less fresh fuel.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
gojuice
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: falkore24

no EGR = worse MPG

At idle, EGR mixes exhaust gas so less fuel can be used and still result in a good AF mixture. Exhaust gas has very little O2 left in it to change the mixture. Less fresh air = less fresh fuel.

So to keep the A/F ratio up the computer would have to dump more fuel in which may give you a more efficient burn with a detriment to MPG's?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
gojuice
Unregistered

So, Hobbin, did you make any changes...hows this situation progressing?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: gojuice

ORIGINAL: falkore24

no EGR = worse MPG

So to keep the A/F ratio up the computer would have to dump more fuel in which may give you a more efficient burn with a detriment to MPG's?

If I understand correctly, you are asking about the situation with the EGR blocked off. In this case, the engine will require more fuel for a good AF mixture because there is more fresh air comming in and thus more O2.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 PM

so then it would definitly lessen the mpg of the car?is my understanding right?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
gojuice
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: ford

so then it would definitly lessen the mpg of the car?is my understanding right?

and most likely raise cumbustion temp, a lot in some cases...

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 PM

ok..so if i were to buy a intake system, i should find one that has 2 nipples then right?? so that both of the original hoses goes to the intake system again...

Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 AM

Bottom line: Hobbin and ford...both your 94s just need that "red" hose to be plugged. The aftermarket intake system only requires that the "blue" hose be connected to the nipple. Cutting and plugging that "red" hose is perfectly safe. So thus, the aftermarket intake system only has one nipple. Keep in mind the manufacturers (AEM, K&N, etc.) knew what they were doing when creating these intake systems.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Here's my intake. It's an eBay special, had to slightly modify for the sensor; but no MAF.

CAI01.jpg?t=1214156884

You can see my connections easily

It's probably me, but I can't make heads or tails of your pictures.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Codonah

Bottom line: Hobbin and ford...both your 94s just need that "red" hose to be plugged. The aftermarket intake system only requires that the "blue" hose be connected to the nipple. Cutting and plugging that "red" hose is perfectly safe. So thus, the aftermarket intake system only has one nipple. Keep in mind the manufacturers (AEM, K&N, etc.) knew what they were doing when creating these intake systems.
If this is in fact the case, this step would be included in the installation instructions and the kit would include the plug. All hoses should be accounted for in the installation of any intake.

Quick Reply: Who wants the nipple?