New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Bought a 2009 EX model

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile Bought a 2009 EX model

I am wondering about the new car and what I can add to the car to make it get better gas mileage and how to add a bluetooth later on. I am in Kuwait for a year and bought the car in March now I have 10 months left before I can drive it again. My wife drives the car now and likes it better than her Highlander. Good to find out more about my new car.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
Sounds like you better get ready to drive the Highlander when you get back...

Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Almost A Senior Member

How much better gas mileage do you want to get? Sounds like you got the 4 cylinder, I just bought the EXL ('09) it's got the 6 in it. I'm pretty happy with my gas usage I'm out of an '02 Explorer. When I took out the V6 the salesman told me I would not like the 4 and he was right! Big difference and I'm happy with the larger engine. Gas mileage is not a huge difference for the added power (when needed) and hopefully the longevity of the motor. I hear the V6 is pretty bullet-proof...We'll see.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I read up on the honda sight and they said not to add a cold air intake since it might add some water into the engine. No my wife wants to trade up to a new Pilot since I am over here making money. I will pay off the accord this year. I am just looking for any tips on getting better gas mileage you can always get more. I am happy with my 4 banger gets me there firstest with the mostest.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

The few little things you can add for gas mileage, hardly make much difference. The only thing that has REAL control over your MPG is your own right foot.

If you have a manual tranny, you can shift early & use lower RPM. But I wouldn't do that until after a couple thousand miles of break-in.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, I did not drive it enough before I left to check it only 700 miles before I am gone a long time. My dad drove the car and said he really liked it and put about 800 miles on it in a week. I am really just wondering at this point what everyone is getting from the 4 cylinder engine driving overall some city some highway. I am thinking now about just getting the bluetooth system installed when I get home. Should I go factory or Best Buy or Crutchfield? Thanks for the input, I really miss driving here. When we do drive on base the top limit is 40 KMH and ususally 15 KMH.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

My 2003 is a 4-cyl manual 5-spd. One time I got 40mpg by driving all day on interstate with no AC. Mostly suburban & country roads about 31mpg or so. Lately my daughter lives just off campus & drives only 1 mile at a time, getting 22-ish.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I have the AT and will not be driving in the summer without AC. That is great mileage. I had a Corolla AT before the Honda for 7 years and it spoiled me with good gas mileage. I was able to get right at 40 mpg from NC to TX on a long trip. I will want to see what others use for oil and air filters also. I am thinking to put a K&N filter in the factory box now since it is new and I am sure changing every 12K miles will get expensive. I plan on keeping the car many years. Also thinking about the bluetooth hands free phone system.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
savil76
Unregistered

I bought one too!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 AM

There is no miracle product you can add to the car that will improve gas mileage. The only thing that will improve it is driving habits (and weight reduction.)
Don't get on the gas hard at all. Try to do the speed limit or a little less. If you are coming up to a red light or stopped traffic, take your foot all the way off the gas and coast, etc..
There is a bunch of info out there on improving driving habits to increase gas mileage. I just read up on a bunch of it yesterday. They have actually made it into a competitive sport. The competitors are called hypermilers I think. I read an article about this guy who set a Guinness record in a Honda Insight. he drove something like 2,300 miles on 13.5 gallons getting around 170 mpg. He spoke of coaching someone else in a 2009 Accord who wound up getting around 50mpg. I think the article may have been on MSN, but not sure.

Quick Reply: Bought a 2009 EX model