New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Question extended warranty

So I purchased my 2016 Accord from a Honda dealer which comes with a free oil change and free car washes etc. They also offer what they call Advantage Plus for $495 which includes several oil changes/towing/tire rotation etc for 3 years but I am questioning whether thats worthwhile. On the other hand I maybe interested in their vehicle service contract that costs $1,124.00 and covers 120months/75,000 miles. We have never bothered with such contracts but as a senior citizen I am guessing this may be my last new car and perhaps prudent to prepay coverage for possible problems? Its from the Honda dealer but its not a Honda contract, they claim this one is cheaper. any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2016, 11:39 PM

All new Accords come with full synthetic oil which needs to be changed less frequently than standard motor oil, so depending upon how many miles and under what type of conditions you drive (desert, dust, extreme temps, etc) will make a difference. Some people like to rotate tires every 2K miles... others go up to 5K miles.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for 10 years, then the $1,124 is more cost effective at $112.40 a year compared to $165 a year... however, that is only a difference of about $1 per week.

Does the service contract stay with the car, or is it owner specified? Say for instance, should you decide... 5 years from now.. to give or sell the car to a friend or family member, will the contract carry-over? Should you pay for the 10 year contract, is any of the balance refundable if you elect to trade or sell in less than 10 years time.

Generally, these dealer maintenance offers must be utilized at that particular dealership only, is the dealership conveniently located for you?

Bottom line though.. it's your money, your car and your peace of mind.. If either service contract allows you to feel more comfortable, then.. go for it.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I've just purchased a 2016 EX-L V6 Coupe and I did purchase 7year/100,000mile extended warranty, I did not purchase the Care Plus because I did not want the Dealer/Contract to dictate when or what oil changes I would be getting. 7/100,000 was costly but I drove my 1998 EX-L V6 until just last week when I sold it on Craigslist.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Honda coupe how much did you pay for the extended warranty. and what does that warranty cover

Old 03-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

$1525.00 yeah it's a lot of money but I don't trade every two or three years. drove the last Accord 18 years. you can buy it from any Honda dealer just google the best price.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by HondaCoupe
$1525.00 yeah it's a lot of money but I don't trade every two or three years. drove the last Accord 18 years. you can buy it from any Honda dealer just google the best price.
So 1525 was for which Warranty there was a elite and one above . And I did google about the warranty and could not find anything.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I've written this before and I'll write it again...

Over a lifetime of ownership, any given individual or family is MUCH better off NEVER buying an extended warranty. True, on any given car said warranty may pay off, but it is highly unlikely for every car owned.

Case in point, I purchased an extended warranty back in 1988 on a new car; the warranty didn't even come close to paying off. Since that point I have tracked the cost of each new warranty and compared said cost to the "covered" expenses (less deductible); now, 28 years later I am roughly $18,000 ahead, in spite of the fact that we've had one car (my wife's GTI) which would have benefited from such a warranty.

Then there are the unscheduled maintenance events which happen beyond the extended warranty period; such an event happed to me back in 2006, a vehicle which had an extended warranty offered when we bought it new blew its transmission at 109,000 miles; 9,000 miles beyond the end of the warranty. Had I purchased the warranty it was $1,875, I would still have needed to buy a new transmission for the vehicle for $2,600; in a round-about way, by not buying the warranty I was able to buy the new transmission for $725.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Scotty25
So 1525 was for which Warranty there was a elite and one above . And I did google about the warranty and could not find anything.
HondaCare 7yr/100.000mile 0 deductable

It is VSC D70

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-12-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty25
Extended warranties, whether they're for cars or refrigerators, are really nothing more than insurance policies, rarely associated with the manufacturer and are usually multi-tiered... they are great money makers for the dealership

Old 03-13-2016, 08:27 AM

do the ext warranties cover brakes/engine/transmission and other expensive repairs?

Quick Reply: extended warranty