New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First Honda (and Last Honda)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Default First Honda (and Last Honda)

I purchased a 2012 EX-L brand new last month. This is my first Honda and first Japanese car. I traded-in my BMW X5 for it. It's got some nice features, but the front seats are the absolute worse. The lumbar lump caused by the headrest is unbearable. I can't get comfortable in the car at all. My right leg starts to go numb. My 2011 Mustang GT is a more comfortable ride, I won't even compare it to the BMW. I called Honda customer service and they were unable or unwilling to do anything about it. They told me it was the first they heard about it (which is not true). I find out that the 2013 seats don't have the lumbar lump and have been redesigned.
I bought this car since I do 30k+ miles a year, and I wanted a reliable, good on gas car. I taught the Honda was a good value, but it turns out it is just cheap. I am looking to trade it in and take a huge lose. It was a big mistake getting such and uncomfortable car. This will be my last Honda, I will stick to buying American and German cars.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM

so your saying a $60,000 BMW is better than a $25,000 Honda?

I know not all car seats fit all people the same way. what is comfortable for some people are not comfortable for others. Must be caused by some people being different sizes.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Did you sit in the car before you bought it? Personally, I'd get used to the lump in the back before I'd shell out $60K for a BMW that will take out the lump in your wallet.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM

I wasn't even going to compare the accord to my BMW, but the BMW is a better VALUE. Sure, it cost more but you get a better engineered vehicle. My 2003 Chevy Cavalier I drove in college was a cheaper and more comfortable car. After researching this I found many complains about the seats. If you read reviews of the 2013 may car mags state that the uncomfortable seats have be redesigned. My fault for assuming accords are quality cars and buying one without doing the proper research.
I took the accord on a 15 minute test drive. It was loud in the cabin, but fine. After my first 3 hour drive in the car that when I felt the pain.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

Look around, I think there are a few threads by some where they modified the lumbar support. Worth the read if nothing else.

Thanks for joining.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Welcome to HAF.

Look around, I think there are a few threads by some where they modified the lumbar support. Worth the read if nothing else.

Thanks for joining.

Yeah I have made some modifications already, been searching everywhere for improvements. May even try to weld my own support in the seat removing the Honda plastic active head restraint.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM

The vast majority of Hondas are made in the USA, with many parts made by American manufacturers. If your VIN# starts with a J, it was made in Japan... Just saying....

Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
The vast majority of Hondas are made in the USA, with many parts made by American manufacturers. If your VIN# starts with a J, it was made in Japan... Just saying....
Where are the parts designed? Are they just assembled in the US?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 PM

I know quite a few parts on the 98-02 accords are actually made by Ford (they even have the Ford logo on them).

Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Go to google and type "most American made car." Click on the first article that comes up. 2012 Honda Accord is #4 on the list...
I would link the article, but we are not allowed to do that on the forum

Quick Reply: First Honda (and Last Honda)