New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Fuse problems (#27 small lights exterior)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Default Fuse problems (#27 small lights exterior)

I have a 2009 Honda Accord. The rear lights stopped working, the brake lights work. Both bulbs have been replaced and when I replace the #27 fuse, it blows immediately. I have replaced it numerous times but the fuse just immediately blow when replaced. The light sockets appear to be in good working conditions and I do not see any signs of the short there.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 10-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

If not the sockets, then it becomes a very tedious job to find the short. Follow the wiring harness from the taillights as far forward as you can, look for a place to disconnect. If the fuse still blows, then you know the short is even farther forward.

Do you park outside? How about rodents chewing on the wiring?

Got a multi-meter? Use that to measure resistances so you don't have to blow a dozen more fuses during the search...

Old 10-09-2020, 11:45 AM

Thank you very much, I will work on that and try to find the source of the problem. Yes, I have a multimeter and will use that rather than blowing fuses. As far as parking outside, you are 100% correct, unfortunately I found rat droppings in the engine compartment. So that is probably what cause the short to begin with I was hoping not. I am off this weekend so that will be my project. Thanks again for the response.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

In order to blow the fuse, the resistance has to be low enough to draw current exceeding the rating of the fuse. So...

(Res) = 13v / (fuse rated amps)

A 10-amp fuse will be blown if the load resistance is lower than about 1.3 ohms.