New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Future Honda Engineer here to get familiar with Honda Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Smile Future Honda Engineer here to get familiar with Honda Engines

Hi there!

I'm a Reliability Engineer who formerly worked with John Deere Power Systems (that means I'm pretty much 100% diesel, unfortunately) here to get familiar with both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines used in Accords. I'm currently interviewing with Honda for a position in their Engine Testing department.

What kind of maintenance do you most have to mind? What problems do you have to look out for? Do you know of any simple repairs or tricks that you've used to avoid big problems or fix your car quickly? Do you use a particular fuel additive or type of engine oil? What is your favorite thing about your Honda's performance, especially in terms of response on the highway? Does your engines thermostat seem to stay within regular bounds most of the time or does it take way too long to heat up or way too long to cool down? Is there a particular way Honda engines have changed over the years that you AREN'T especially fond of?

Anything you could tell me about what makes the Honda Accord (or Honda) engines different would be a big help. Thank you all and I hope to hear from you soon!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

Many of the questions are a bit of a debate....fuel additives and oil will always get a long winded debate, some science but most is personal preference.

Good luck

Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 PM

Thank you for the kind welcome and thoughtful comment poorman212!

Originally Posted by poorman212
Many of the questions are a bit of a debate....fuel additives and oil will always get a long winded debate, some science but most is personal preference.
Well then... let the debate begin. I hope you all don't mind if I ask follow up questions to what you're saying.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

If you have follow up questions, you might want to put them in the off topic section.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member **

Thank You for signing up with us..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Future Honda Engineer here to get familiar with Honda Engines-images.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 07:14 PM

Welcome to the forum

It is my understanding, that Honda does not recommend using fuel and/or oil additives... especially in a new car engine

Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Welcome.

Honda has always prided themselves with making great engines. They range from lawn mower engines to mid '70's CVCC to the Bluetec and everything in-between. If you have a passion for engines Honda is the place to be.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF!

Over the years I've monitored this forum, starter (solenoid contacts) and main fuel relays seem to accumulate more faults than most other parts. Somewhat expected in a system that gets used so frequently, but certainly room for improvement.

good luck

Old 11-04-2015, 03:49 PM

In terms of changes that I'm not fond of, my '12 Accord coupe has the J35Z2 V6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM- which shuts off 1 bank of cylinders, or 2 cylinders, depending on speed and usage in order to save fuel). Sometimes, around town, it's not as responsive as I'd like. My previous car, an '03 Accord coupe, had the J30A4 V6, and it was noticeably more responsive at around-town speeds. In fact, I sold that '03 Accord to a friend and recently drove it again. Indeed, it feels like it moves quicker at low speed (although in almost every other capacity, the '12 Accord drives circles around the '03).

It's worth the trade-off, because fuel economy is terrific for a V6, and when I mash the throttle, all 271 hp show up quickly, but at lower speeds, it feels a little laggy. It's a great engine, but making the ECO mode less intrusive might make the car feel a little more engaging.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DerekWildstar
In terms of changes that I'm not fond of, my '12 Accord coupe has the J35Z2 V6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM- which shuts off 1 bank of cylinders, or 2 cylinders, depending on speed and usage in order to save fuel). Sometimes, around town, it's not as responsive as I'd like. My previous car, an '03 Accord coupe, had the J30A4 V6, and it was noticeably more responsive at around-town speeds. In fact, I sold that '03 Accord to a friend and recently drove it again. Indeed, it feels like it moves quicker at low speed (although in almost every other capacity, the '12 Accord drives circles around the '03).

It's worth the trade-off, because fuel economy is terrific for a V6, and when I mash the throttle, all 271 hp show up quickly, but at lower speeds, it feels a little laggy. It's a great engine, but making the ECO mode less intrusive might make the car feel a little more engaging.
I "think" there are other factors involved here....using my 07 Pilot (haven't logged enough miles in the 16 Pilot).

The engine temps have to be at normal - we know that. VCM will not activate at speeds less than 30 mph. The slightest change in gas pedal "response" will cut VCM off and go to full cyl's.

Again the 07 Pilot has a light that lets me know when the VCM is active so I can watch/play with it. Not sure of the '12 Accords. I do have a highway on ramp that I get to take on the way to work and when traffic lets me I let the '07 wind out a bit - got to keep those plugs clean ,

With the '16 Pilot, I have more issues with the 9 speed auto trans. Seems like the "take off" from a light and the thing doesn't even get to 3 MPH and it shifts to second....by 10 mph you are in third....kind of jerky IMHO. Don't get me wrong, if you stand on it from a stop....well that big heavy thing has some "get up an go" and in the higher rpm's actually has a lillte sound coming from the factory exhaust.

Do the '12 Accord's have a button to turn off the "Econ", the '16 Pilot does but the '07 Pilot does not?

Quick Reply: Future Honda Engineer here to get familiar with Honda Engines