New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Got first Japanese Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Default Got first Japanese Car

After having driven a high mileage chevy malibu, a high mileage suburban, and a very nice but automatic Grand Am; I finally broke free of American made automobiles. I've always been a fan of japanese cars because of their reliability, flexibility and suprising performance so when my dad offered me a 1993 Honda Accord in exchange for my 50,000 mile 2004 Pontiac Grand Am I of course said yes. The car I got isn't perfect, it isn't new, all my friends laughed at me and think I'm crazy but I got the perfect car for me. The Accord I bought is in almost perfect condition, only one small hole of rust on body and a clean frame, but it does have 150,000 miles on the odometer. It is a 5-speed manual, 2 door EX, Metallic Silver with the stock honda 15 inch rims on it. The engine is the F22a6, sohc, non v-tec and it's not a pretty sight to open the hood, but now that I have the car it's all about to change.
Just a little back story so you guys don't think I'm some dumb kid about to rice out an old Accord. My brother bought a 1995 Acura Integra GS-R, very good condition, black with black leather interior. I clocked him in the face the day he sold it without giving me a chance to purchase it. The car had been lowered, exhaust system, strut bars, intake, rebuilt heads and tinted. No huge spoiler or body kit, as a matter of fact anything ricey the previous owner had installed got removed.
With this Accord I'm looking at immediately ripping the engine out. I'll take fenders off and completely clean and sandblast the engine bay (I have access to full service auto garage). The block will be save as well as the crank shaft, and the c.s. will be immediately sent off to be machined and balanced. I'm looking through junkyards and pull aparts for wrecked preludes in the hopes I can find a low mileage and intact h22 or h23 engine. Off it I'll purchase the dohc v-tec head, the upper plenum, thermostat housing, intake manifold and possibly the transmission as well.
Meanwhile I'll fully rebuild the core of the engine with new pistons, rods and all the seals and gaskets, nothing fancy just OEM honda parts from a local carquest or napa.
As far as aftermarket upgrades go, I'm gonna buy an cat back exhaust system (I'm looking at Megan Racing, not sure yet) a CAI, Stainless Header, a lightweight flywheel, Polytane Engine Mounts, Test Pipe and a short throw shifter. Nothing major, just simple basic neccesities. I'll send the head off to get ported and polished at a local shop I deal with and possibly get it shaved a little. I'm gonna do NGK spark plugs, wires and coils and maybe a new ignition module if the stock on doesn't cut it.
I have a whole host of suspension modifications I'm planning on doing, but not until next spring when SCCA racing at Geauga Lake starts up again.
As far as visual stuff goes I'm not gonna post much, just projectors, grill and tinting the tail lights and windows. I'm hoping to make a fast car that doesn't turn heads until I can afford to get a properly built engines and large bore Garret Turbocharger.
Lemme know what you guys think so far, I'm open to all criticism even if you want to call me stupid for giving up a good, new, reliable car for what everyone would regard as a beater. I know I left alot of details out of the build but I'll post stuff on my car as it happens.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Supper Moderator

welcome enjoy your stay...nice to see another cb7 on the forums