New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hatchback 1988 Lxi

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Default Hatchback 1988 Lxi

Hello,
Reading posts and seeing pixs makes me want to fix the old red Accord. So maybe I will but first some advice please. The engine runs fine with only 146k. Maintained well inside and out. My wife bought 2013Accord which is a dream to drive. I now drive 2004 Envoy.
Old 88HB needs one tiny elbow shaped 1/2" ID hot water tube that sprays hot water after 10 minutes after turning on the engine. The location of this little tube keeps me from an easy repair,it is only visible with great difficulty below 5 or 6 other tubes and clusters of wires next to the thermostatic housing. Time I have but a good strong back and experience I do not have. This small tube keeps me from running the car daily for short errands.
I cant see sending it to the crusher. Any thoughts?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'd get a helms or haynes manual for the car to figure out the best way to do it. Then just take it a step at a time that your abilities will allow you to do since it sounds like you don't need the car on a daily basis.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF

If you got a pic of the hose.....I might be able to give a few pointers on how to get the little guy.....I think I know which one it is but a pic would be nice.

If you want to try.....get a pic and start a thread in the general tech section and we can go from there.

And PLEASE don't send it to the crusher.....if you are close enough I'd buy it - for cheap

Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Mr Poorman,
I am convinced that I should fix it and drive on special occasions. My thinking has changed since visiting this site. Since my wife bought the 2013 Accord in a vivid burgundy I have visions on the 87 repainted in same color. Orginal color was a burgandy. When the rain stops I will take some pixs and get some tips. Thanks

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the HAf..Good start of a good post to be. lol

WheelBrokerAng

Old 08-02-2013, 03:04 PM

I drove the Accord in question for the first time sometime in 2007 when the mileage was around 136k and bought it on the spot for $800.00. From the same fellow I had previously bought a 1986 f150 manual 4wheel drive rust bucket for $200. and drove that to work for almost a full two years and had lots of fun. Then he lent me a chevy 1990 white whale suburban for several months. I filled the tank once and then had to get a second mortgage to fill it again. WOW. He sold me the Honda and started to help me with home projects. Sadly he passed away due to illness very soon thereafter. His daughter owned the car for a couple of years before I got it. So I know it was maintained well. I have tried to keep it tuned and had many repairs done. I owe it too him to keep it from the crusher. In several years it will be 30 years old. And I will be at full SS age.
So I will post pix and such on the text site and hope for the best???
One quick question I you know please. Are the parts of my Hatchback interchangeable with those of 2door or 4door models? If so what years do my parts cover? Say a hood for example? Same for HB as 2dr or 4dr 87s? or HB of 88S of 86S?

Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

I went out and "re-freshed" my memory - I'm going to guess it is the lower of two small/short hoses coming off @ the t-stat housing heading towards the firewall.

Remove the intake tube that runs to the air filter. There is a set of ~8 vac lines right above those hoses - there should be enough "slack" in them that you don't have to remove them.

From there - I would remove the upper small hose, plan on replacing since you have it off, why not. Then go for the lower one.

I'd get new hoses and "worm" clamps. Once the old ones are out, the end that is not on the t-stat will have a bit of "play/movement". Spray a bit of lube either on the metal connections or lightly lube the inside of the new hoses. Install the new hose to the t-stat side first, slide it as far as you can. Then attach the other side - once you kind of have it started, slide the hose back off (not all the way) the t-stat side and set/seat the hose. Not sure if you get where I'm going with that - but putting it further on the t-stat side gives you more room for the firewall side - then once some what connected you can back it off the t-stat side to set it......don't forget the clamps

Position the clamps in such a way that you can get to them with a 1/4 ratchet and a 5/16 or 8 mm socket. Tighten all four clamps (two on each hose).

Slide the temp control (inside the car) to MAX heat and turn the blower OFF. Open the bleeder on the t-stat housing. SLOWLY add coolant to the rad until a good stream comes out the bleeder. Close the bleeder. Replace the cap to the FIRST CLICK ONLY - this is IMPORTANT!

Start the car and let it run - check your work, if there is a bit of coolant leaking from the new clamps slowly tighten them. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and at any point it goes above 1/2 or gets towards 3/4 shut the car off.

Let the car run until the fans cycle at least once, I got for twice but that is me. This time of the year, it could take 15~25 minutes. Once they do cycle, shut the car off.

Remove the rad cap - WARNING - THE REASON FOR ONE CLICK ON THE CAP WAS BECAUSE YOU DON'T BUILD PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM - DO NOT BURN YOURSELF WITH HOT COOLANT. Top off the rad if needed, check the over flow tank. replace cap all the way.

Done ......oh, put the intake tube back on

For your other question. Lots of parts on the 3rd gens (86-89) interchange....some don't. As far as the hood (metal), any 3rd gen hood will fit (2, 3, 4 door - DX, LX or LXi). Note that the plastic "trim" -right where the hood and bumper "meet" is different - for that you will need one from a 88 or 89. Also remember that the stickers under the hood - vac line diagrams and spec's could be different but they fit.

EDIT - wow this got way longer than I thought....again I like the 3rd gens.......and yes, I'm not a good speller but I hope I got close enough for you to understand what I was trying to say/type . If you were close by I'd be more than happy to help out. In the pic I'm talking about 18 and 19.

Attached Thumbnails Hatchback 1988 Lxi-3rd-gen-lxi-coolant-hoses.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 08-02-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Thumbs up honda guy

Here a few pixs of 88 Accord HB. I washed it up and then took the pictures. I looked under and all around and I did not find one spot of rust. All the doors and frames around doors free of rust. There are no dents scratches and paint job is faded but lower door frame has bright clean burgandy which is original color. After sitting for 2months it started on first key turn.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Hatchback 1988 Lxi-sam_0363.jpg   Hatchback 1988 Lxi-sam_0365.jpg   Hatchback 1988 Lxi-sam_0367.jpg   Hatchback 1988 Lxi-sam_0369.jpg   Hatchback 1988 Lxi-sam_0368.jpg  

Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that is a nice 3rd gen - low miles.

You are coming up on a timing belt change, unless you can confirm the last one.

The really funny thing - my 89 LXi 2 dr has the same paint set up.....even down the to the hood color .....I do have one "gold" headlight cover on you. Oldest went deer hunting with the car - he hit the deer but didn't "take it" so it got away . See pic, behind the 88 LXi (recently sold) and infront of the Pilot.....again it is a coupe but close enough.

I had just bought that one for him to replace his 87 LX 4 dr 5 speed because it got rear-ended. I had not sent it to the bone yard at that point so we swapped the hood and one headlight from the 87.

Again, I'm a fan of this gen, big time. The poor old fellas just keep going and going.....and I get 33 mpg.

It looks like you are just north of me in VA - if you ever thing about getting rid of it, send me a PM.

Attached Thumbnails Hatchback 1988 Lxi-dscn8463.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Belt is less than 15k old and maybe three years. I think my mechanic will be doing most of engine repairs as my back has been supporting several doctors and their families and it is worn out. I need to save it for more important things like fishing. I will be clearing a spot for the 88 in the pole barn very soon. I have located several 88s at the local auto salvage and also found an 88 for sale by a dealer in Norfolk for 500.00 not a HB. I assuming many parts would be interchangeable. Swapping out parts seems the way to go. That means getting parts and vehicles where and when you can. I am new to the car fixing business. I trashed too many cars and I regret doing it. Two VWs, one Caddy Brougham, with a horn like a locomotive!! two Audi foxes, my wife's, one honda civic given to friend who parted it out and one f150 that rusted out from underneath me. At 61 I think I need to restore one car in my life. My son in law and his dad restored a 77 Satellite. And man do we turn some heads taking that on the road. Taking it out riding and feeling the horsepower kick in will give you a ride unlike anything at Kings Dominion. Todays cars give some power but the feel is all different. You dont "feel" the power. Dont feel the road in the steering wheel. Sorry I have a bad habit of saying too much. I guess you get the point.

Quick Reply: Hatchback 1988 Lxi