New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello everyone! New member, new OWNER!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Talking Hello everyone! New member, new OWNER!

Hi all I just turned 17 got my new baby (98 Accord EX 3.0L v6 dark green) I'll probably post some pics when I get the chance. I've had this car promised to me by my grandfather for 5 years for the price of 2$. We always called her the 2$ Honda haha
On with business its completely stock now do there are a few things naturally a 17 year old guy wants to do to her haha

Paint job: all nineties Hondas I see seem to have clear coat peeling. What's average cost to fix this?

Exhaust: I want good looking chrome with a nice undertone and good acceleration noise. I don't want even close to obnoxious though. Any suggestions?

Anything else that will just add some pep to her? Anything at all I should do?
Recommend some nice wheels?
Any problems with this year I should look out for/check on?
I hope I am not ignorant in any of my questions I would just like information on what I now own
Thank you all very much! Cheers!
P.S. I'm in GA and will be driving her this weekend a few 100 miles to panama city beach. What should I check on her to make ready for this trip besides basics oil,tires.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, lets see if I can help you with a few of your questions.

Paint Job: Any body shop would probably charge thousands to fix the clear coat. You could try a cheaper alternative like maaco or a do it yourself job.

Exhaust: Magnaflow might meet your needs.

Common problems: The 98-02 V6 automatic transmissions are in all honesty garbage. There was a class action lawsuit against Honda over them. There is a debate on if its better to replace transmission fluid or keep it the same. You can search and make your decision on that.

As much as a young guy may want to beat on a car, its probably better to take it easy on this one if you want it to last.

Has the timing belt been replaced? Its recommended every 7 years or 105k miles. If this breaks there will be major engine damage.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM

We are going to get all belts changed when I get back from my trip incl. timing belt. It's 1000$ at dealer but we found someplace cheaper. I'll take a look at magnaflow and my grandfather has a guy says he will take a look and fix transmission when I get back also. It clunks sometimes or revs just slightly too high and hard shifts into 2nd and 3rd, 4th gear seems fine. I'll take a good look at magnaflow thanks very much. I take good care of my car, I haven't touched the pedal to the floor on this ever (now my dads 2011 BMW 740li 340hp M package is a different story heh heh) once I get everything especially tranny and belts replaced on it I will probably drive it faster but I will only
Thrash it on the rare occasion.
Thanks very much
Anything else?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forums from all of us..make sure you ask your questions in all the correct forums so you get a answer to them..

Thanks For Joining,,