New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

hey im new

Old 01-06-2006, 05:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default hey im new

hey all just figured since I have an accord i should hang around a forum for accords. I have just about taken my whole car apart at one time or another so I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has about fixing just about anything on their car.

my car:

91 accord ex wagon
f22a6
shorty intake
4-2-1 header "wrapped"
tein springs
tokico struts
energy suspension bushings up front
5 speed of course
neuspeed short shift kit
two stage timing map
no electronic lift control though
other than that the car is so stock its crazy the thing sleeps big time.

-lightshow

Old 01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Default RE: hey im new

Hey, welcome to the forums. I also have the '91 Accord, not the wagon but close enough. I noticed that you had some mods. done and I am looking to do some things to my car as well. I don't know all there is to know about the Accord's, but I just picked up a '90 as a junk car and I think that I am going to take apart that motor and really dig in deep to find out everything I can about the motor itself. But I did have a couple of questions while I'm at it though. Where did you find the f22a6 and that motor can be turbo, right? And also what h.p. is your car at. I might be doing everything very similar. If you have any other helping tips or any comments please let me know. Like I said I do not know much really about the motor yet, but I am looking/willing to learn. Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 PM

hey im always happy to hear about people that want to learn about cars.

the a6 came standard in the wagon and SE accord models. yes it can be turbocharged

I have 150 at the crank on my motor. and at 250k miles i feel like thats doing pretty good. I always use mobil 1 green top though.

lightshow

Old 01-07-2006, 12:47 AM

o yea i forgot i ahve front and back upper strut towers on my car too.

lightshow

Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 AM
trvlnut
Unregistered

Hi lightshow:
I notice that you put new struts on your car. I have a '92 Accord LX that needs new front struts. I've been quoted $840. Is this a good price? Are they hard to replace?

Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 AM

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 1 that is one of the ****teir quote i have ever heard of. book time on those struts is like an hour and the parts are cheap. you can replace them yourself for under a hundred bucks and thats for good ones. i have posted a complete write up about changing struts in another thread, but i dont remember which one it is. if you buy them and are serious about putting them on. i would be glad to write up every step needed to do the job...****.... im not doing anything right now so why the hell not.

jack the car up--

take your tire off. 4 19mm nuts hold it on. there are two points on the strut where the brake line is connected to. just unscrew the bolt, they are 10mm.

there is one nut and bolt that holds the bottom of the strut to the control arm. not positive about the size prolly 17 or 19mm. youll want a socket and a box end wrench for this so when your turning one side the other doesnt inadvertantly turn. there are 3 10mm nuts that hold the strut to the top and they can accessed under the hood. bam...that bitch is ready to pop out. you are going to need to do some willgin and you may need to stand on the rotor a little to get the clearance. once you get it out, youve got to take the spring off so you can put the new strut off. there are a few different ways to do this. in general....its just a good idea to rent a macpherson strut compressor from you local auto store just in case you need it but you really shouldnt.

take out an old *** towel that you really dont care about.. but first you have to crack that nut on the top of the strut assembly. so.. take a box end wrench of the correct size and put it over the nut, then put the correct size allen wrench in the middle to hold it in place, just turn it a few times, DONT take it all the way or youll be sorry!

now wrap that strut up in that towel like your rollin up a fat joint with the top being covered up, this will make sure that when the top pops off it wont go flying. now take a socket and loosed the nut all the way. if you did it right everything will stay in the towel. when it comes off just put the spring and the hat on the new strut and put it all back together. for the fronts, its good to have a heavy *** person pushing it down while you get that nut turned on it a few times. if you dont have a heavy person you may need to use the compressor that you got. a pickup truck or an suv will work good to though is you have a towing hitch on it. where the ball goes is a perfect opening for the strut rod to pop up through so you can get that nut on. good luck pm me with any questions that you might have or pm deserthonda he knows his stuff too.

lightshow

Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Administrator

My goodness NO on that price for struts.
Stay away from that company...too much

WheelBrokerAng
[sm=badidea.gif]
ORIGINAL: trvlnut

Hi lightshow:
I notice that you put new struts on your car. I have a '92 Accord LX that needs new front struts. I've been quoted $840. Is this a good price? Are they hard to replace?