New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi, I'm Josh from northeast Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hi, I'm Josh from northeast Texas

Hi. Just got my accord a week ago yesterday! It's a 2001 coupe ex 2.3 4 banger black. So far all I've done is remove the spoiler, tune-up, & had the window motors fixed. it's got almost 151,000 & from what I understand it's got a whole hell of a lot of life left in it! I've got some aftermarket crystal clear headlights to instal as soon as I get a chance, anyway just wanted to "check in"! Hope to make lots of friends and learn a lot o info on here!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome, and yes 150k miles really isnt much for your car, I am sure you will get many more years out of it with proper maintenance.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It would be a good idea to have all fluids changed.

Welcome to the board

Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Good to know live2rice!
And crispin do you know what that'd cost to have done?
Also I've heard that if I changed the transmission fluid with so many miles on it it could mess it up, cause I Doubt it's been changed before!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 01darkknight
Good to know live2rice!
And crispin do you know what that'd cost to have done?
Also I've heard that if I changed the transmission fluid with so many miles on it it could mess it up, cause I Doubt it's been changed before!
not true on the trans fluid for Hondas. #1 most important thing is to only use Actual Honda fluid bought from the dealership.

It is actually very simple to change your own trans fluid on our cars.
Turn the wheel all the way to the right, turn the car off. Look in by the passenger wheel you will see the transmission there is a square hole that fits any normal socket wrench . Undo the screw and about 2.5 quarts of old nasty trans fluid will come out (however the transmission holds more than that is just doesnt drain all the way out) Clean off the screw as there is a magnet on the end that attracts stuff in the trans. Put screw back in. Fill trans fluid from dip stick under the hood towards front passenger side.

Drive the car for 10-100 miles and repeat 2 more times.

I used to have my oil changed for me a local shop on tuesdays as they only charged $19.99. If you can find a deal like that near you that is a good way to go.

I really recommend changing your trans fluid asap cause if they fail (mine just did at 140k miles with no warning but I never changed the fluid since I got the car) it will cost you a lot of money to repair.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So I seen valvoline max life (trannys over 75,000 miles) on back says for Honda ATF-z1 but you'd still recommend Honda fluid?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 01darkknight
So I seen valvoline max life (trannys over 75,000 miles) on back says for Honda ATF-z1 but you'd still recommend Honda fluid?
no it is real important to only use the Honda fluid from Honda.

If you do a quick search you will see many many threads about it.

it is not much more expensive, if any at all, and will not cause any problems.

About 10k miles before my trans suddenly blew, I had a trans cooling hose leak and I added "safe for Honda" fluid in my car - while I cannot for sure say that is what caused my trans to blow, many other people have had the same results as I did.

Get the fluid from the dealer, you can buy it online as well. It is called Honda Z1

Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I may have already made a booboo. When I got it it was a quart low so I added Lucas transmission fix. 1 for the mileage & 2 for the jerk I'd get from 1st into 2nd. So I prolly need to drain pretty quick ?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM

yes man - I have owned an Accord for almost 2 years now and during that time I have read nothing but bad stories about running anything but Honda fluid.
If I was you I would quickly do a few drain and flushes.
I am serious when I tell you that my Auto just stopped working out of the blue with no warning at all leaving my GF on the side of the road at night.
I added 2 quarts of Mercon 3 which said it was Honda safe, I have read countless stories of that happening to other people and I do not know of one person who said they only ran Honda Z1.

These Honda trans seem to be real picky, everything else on them is tough as nails but the auto trans are sensitive. IMHO - YMMV

Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Will take care of it, thanks crispin! And idk what IMHO - YMMV IS :\ lol

Quick Reply: Hi, I'm Josh from northeast Texas