New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

HondaAccordForum.com Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM
|| Catalyst ||
Unregistered
Default HondaAccordForum.com Newbie

Hello all - as the subject says...I'm new here. I am actually contemplating purchasing an Accord from my parents as my Saab 9-5 Turbo just died and I am still pondering on whether or not I should replace the engine and keep or sell it. That being said I have the option to purchase the following for next to nothing:

'94 Accord EX Coupe, 5th Gen 5Spd 2.2 VTEC, Black with Taupe/tan interior. It has about 93K on the engine and has been well maintained mechanically - but needs some TLC cosmetically as the black paint wasn't easy for the 'rents to maintain.

I am wondering if this is a good project carfor performance or if there are similar models that are better performing? Also, what types of mods would be"must haves" for this inline 4? I suspect CAI, Headers, Exhaust, coilovers, wheels/tires and brakes. Anything else outside of thatlist that would behigher priority upgrades? After owning a Saab, the Honda aftermarketparts seem quite inexpensive,and I just want to make sure I am not overlooking the obvious here.

RE: Wheels, for this body/chassis, what is a suitable size for looks, performance, and avoiding fender rubbing? I am figuring 18" x 7 or 8 but am curious about offset and tire size...

Any responses are appreciated!

~Catalyst

Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Default RE: HondaAccordForum.com Newbie

You came to the right place! welcome to the forum....

Mods: that car adapts well to turbo's so that's a favorite (a turbo on that car at 8 psi gives you roughly 225 HP....) and you can piece together a kit yourself for $1500-$2000

Must Dos: Nothing is a must do, most common starting mods are Intake, Headers and Exhaust...

Tires: about a 45-50mm offset is what you want, there are a few guys on here with 18's so they seem to work fine...

Things to watch for on that car: don't use anything but NGK plugs, Speedometer is more prone to stop working and that's about the only "common" issues, also make sure that if the timing belt, seals and water pump have never been done then get it done soon

Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
|| Catalyst ||
Unregistered

Sir Nasty,

Thanks for the input! So turbo mods for this engine aren't out of the question, that's almost enough in itself to seal the deal for me as I would seriously miss that aspect of the Saab. Thanks for the tip on the plugs. I have the service history on it and the Timing belt (the cause of my early death to the Saab), was done about 5K early as well as the water pump. Seals are good and the only recurring issue they had was replacing the exhaust twice due to the 5 mile trips my mom was known for. Condensation rusted it out twice. I would replace that anyways.

Also, how durable is the 5 speed tranny in this model? I noticed shifter vbiration on touch in 5th gear and other then that it passes through the gates smoothly. Clutch seems good and overall a smooth experience outside of a rather long throw (IMHO). I imagine a few searches might dig up a short throw shift kit as well.

Also, is there a good HID retrofit option that is quality and offer good lifespan? I did a few searches and won't be doing the eBay for most items unless they are name brand.

Sounds like this might be a great project car so far, some searches on the site prove there are many relatively inexpensive mods that can equate to a high performance Honda. Any other relavant info is appreciated as I try and start a parts list and work the final details out with the purchase. I'm driving it now and it runs solid outside of some suspension squeaks and overall stock performance that leaves something to be desired in the acceleration department.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 PM

There are lots of aftermarket parts for that car (www.f22parts.com).... I have the same one and I've got around 145,000 miles on it and no problems with the clutch or tranny.... plenty of shifter options....