New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

How much will this cost??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:07 PM
kartracer72
Unregistered
Default How much will this cost??

Hi everybody,
New guy here. So please be gentle. My son 16, he wants to do a tuner project for his first car. We have been involved in shifter kart racing for years, have our own shop, and have done 5 full of chassis restorations on late 60’s muscle cars. So technically it will be a new area, but we are certainly not new to wrenches and laptops.
My son has estimated that doing a pretty significant tune on a civic should cost about 20 -25 thousand dollars including the cost of the untouched civic or accord.
My question is that a realistic number or are we kidding ourselves. Of course I understand you can blow 15K on supercharged Dart VTEC and another 4K on seats and wheels.
My real question is approximately how much have you spent on your mods, including the original car. At least to the point where you were happy with the car and it was a safe, respectable, tuner.
Thanks for your feed back

Old 05-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Default RE: How much will this cost??

ok..let me give you an idea of a full build, on a car that is harder to find performance parts than a civic..a friend of mine bought a 1995 chrysler sebring coupe...4 cylinder 5 speed. including buying the car, the rims, the body kit, which is actually just the stock cladding of a 2000 sebring, redoing the entire interior to stock look,and the new drive line, he has just shy of 12 grand tied up...and it is a pretty fast little car...at 25ish psi hes running about 300 (294) at the wheels...for the driveline he bought a new 2.0 liter block..new crank shaft, stock stroke...JE rods..Eagle pistons...new head, ported and polished...new close ratio transmission, quiaffe differential...custom high performance half shafts...a super 20g turbocharger, HKS custom intercooler...custom turbo back 3 inch one piece race exhaust...comp cams turbo cmashaft....AEM adjustable cam gears...new fuel system...ACT 450lb clutch, and a completely electronic programmable ignition system...which includes a Dell laptop and ignition box...with the spark timing and fuel curve set at 50 rpm intervals...
i would say that 25g should build at least a 10 second car. his runs high 12s for 12...

Old 05-07-2005, 08:36 PM

25g's in a civic on performance alone is mind blowing speed.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:59 AM

If ur looking to do just enginge mods and have the car running quick times for quartmile u oculd prolly get away with 8-10 grand under the hood... add a bodykit,springs,rims tires,wing....carbon fiber hood, tails and projectors.... body wise say ur looking at 4 grand to be safe, as far as interior custom done say another 6 grand theres ur 20 grand spent add 5 grand for a system u'd have a show winning car......

Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM

i think that is probably close to a realistic number depending on what exactly you want done to the car. It could cost you more or far less than that just depends on your style.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Ya
You can actually spend endless amounts on your car.....20-25k for one sounds good enough to get you a pretty nice setup though.