New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

A little about me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Cool A little about me.

I live in Huntington Beach Ca. I work for Fair Auto as a mechanic/tech. Its not the job I want, but with the economy and moving here 8 months ago from northern Ca. Its a job. I have two Kids. Moved out and in their early 20's. Just me, my wife and two big dogs. Ive built a few Chevy Hot rods . One was show quality. ( 67 Chevelle SS with 396cu. ) I will load some pics later on. I currently drive 1991 Honda EX 4dr. 2.2l ( F22A4 ) I am the original owner. It's been a great commuter. Currently it has 201376 miles. I have maintained it very well. I will spare all the details unless requested. Head has never been off. Auto trans still working Satisfactory, just cleaned EGR ports yesterday. Anyway Just was checking availability of some high performance parts. Not all the K&N bolt on stuff, or chips, headers etc.. While I realize those items will help if I can do something that will give me 25 to 40 or so more ponies, but Im thinking camshaft swap. Head swap, Crank swap . I have factory Honda training and never tinkered around with part swaps. Hell, You guys have all the #'s for engine blocks and heads in your memory. I really had no reason to remember. I had to go look at my engine before this post. So ...will a double overhead cam head from a prelude switch over. My block has no crank sensor, but does have a spot for one. I want to avoid a lot of wire splicing. I dont mind replacing a harness. Nice site and thanks for having me. Todd Howard

Last edited by Old Honda Dude; 03-15-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Supper Moderator

welcome enjoy your stay.....
Don’t bother with trying to swap just the head on your f22a4 block. For the money your better off just buying a h22 swap. Much more power stock and much less of a headache. I was building a "g22 vtec" (h22 prelude head on a f22 accord block) but I'm not going to do it. Way t much of a headache The power a motor won’t be great since the f22 engines has such low c/r from the factory. So not much extra power added from the swap.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Default F22a4

Thanks. I knew the compression ratio was 8.8:1 on my F22 . Just wasnt sure if a different head would increase it. You know, I look at a F22 short block and it takes everything Ive ever learned to convinse me the pistons are not comming up flush with the deck. Its that same illogic that tells me " just shave the crap of the head for increased compression. So thanks. Is there a link that you know of that tells the H.P. and other stats on Honda 4 cylinders. Will I be able to pass smog test here in Ca. O.H.D.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Those of us who don't live in California have little clue how to get around smog testing out there. People talk about referees & certain shops can bless the parts one way or the other.... ?

So that'll have to come from someone who lives out there.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Welcome

Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by Old Honda Dude
Thanks. I knew the compression ratio was 8.8:1 on my F22 . Just wasnt sure if a different head would increase it. You know, I look at a F22 short block and it takes everything Ive ever learned to convinse me the pistons are not comming up flush with the deck. Its that same illogic that tells me " just shave the crap of the head for increased compression. So thanks. Is there a link that you know of that tells the H.P. and other stats on Honda 4 cylinders. Will I be able to pass smog test here in Ca. O.H.D.

With the 8:8:1 c/r swapping the head actually decreases the c/r down to 8:5:1 or 8:4:1. What hp numbers do you want for what accord or prelude engine? I can tell you I know 99% of them of the top of my head.

Go take a look at cb7tuner.com you will find a crap ton of info and all the types of builds you can do with the accords and prelude engines. That site is all about cb7 hondas.