Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   looking at a 98 accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/looking-98-accord-42692/)

Sunstone8 09-09-2011 08:20 AM

looking at a 98 accord

I'm upgrading from my Prelude to an Accord because I need the extra space, and I've found a decent Accord in the area. Test driving today, but the outer appearance is good. Few minor dings, but nothing major. Is there anything specific I should be looking out for?

It has 110k miles, 4door EX, automatic.

live2rice 09-09-2011 08:45 AM

I normally don't like to be the barer of bad news, but you should be informed.

The 98-02 automatic accords had catastrophic transmission failure. The v6s had it worse off than the 4cyls, but they 4cyl were by no means left out.

We get someone almost every week that joins with a 98-02 with a blown transmission.

You could buy it and never have a problem, but you could buy it and have to replace the transmission 3 times in the next 5 years. There aren't really any preventative steps you can take, and there isnt really anything better you can replace it with.

Sunstone8 09-09-2011 11:34 AM

Damn... That's the same story with my Prelude. Transmission failures in the Gen5's. How much is it to replace? I don't want to dump 7k in a car to have it break.

Maybe I'll just save up and get a newer one...

JimBlake 09-09-2011 01:03 PM

Get a manual trans, they're bulletproof.

WheelBrokerAng 09-09-2011 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rice and Jim have given you the best answers for your question's..use them cuz they are correct.

By the way welcome to the HAf....
WheelBrokerAng :)

Sunstone8 09-09-2011 04:14 PM

Also the same story as my Prelude. Did their auto transmissions suck during that period of time or something?

I'll be looking around for a better Accord. Or maybe by then I've saved up enough to get a new Accord with a lower monthly payment.

live2rice 09-09-2011 04:33 PM

I'm not sure why the Accords and preludes got it bad, the 94-97 accord autos were perfectly reliable, but for some reason they fixed what wasnt broken and made it worse.

As for the replacement cost, they seem to still be pretty expensive(I was honestly surprised when I saw the price). The going rate for one out of a junkyard is $600-1000 depending on miles warranty etc. This is surprising when you can get a manual for $300 or so.

Sunstone8 09-09-2011 10:07 PM

I wish I could find a stick Accord around. I need to get back into driving sticks anyway. I just need a family sized sedan soon.

Sunstone8 09-10-2011 10:18 PM

Is it possible to swap out the auto for a manual whenever it does break? I found one other Accord in the area, but it's also an 02 auto anyway. I'm just looking at if its too costly to switch the transmission out.

Peli 09-10-2011 11:04 PM

Auto to manual swaps are possible, you can probably find a shop that will do it for $2000-3000. If I had the money for an auto to manual swap for my car it would be the next thing I'd do.