New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New '15 6-6 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:31 AM
Default New '15 6-6 Owner

Hi everyone!

Just bought my first Accord. I lucked out and found a very well-kept 6-6 Coupe with less than 30k miles on it. I've attached a few pictures to this post, but as this is my first manual, I'd love any tips people have about finding the engagement point (I'm still struggling with it), and when it's safe to start giving the car gas. I mostly bought the Accord because it was a really good deal and everyone I've talked to has raved about Honda's gearboxes. I would like to eventually learn how to mod the car, but my first priority is learning how to drive this car without any jerkyness.

Front!

Back!

From the back seat!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by blackeaglejs
Hi everyone!

Just bought my first Accord. I lucked out and found a very well-kept 6-6 Coupe with less than 30k miles on it. I've attached a few pictures to this post, but as this is my first manual, I'd love any tips people have about finding the engagement point (I'm still struggling with it), and when it's safe to start giving the car gas. I mostly bought the Accord because it was a really good deal and everyone I've talked to has raved about Honda's gearboxes. I would like to eventually learn how to mod the car, but my first priority is learning how to drive this car without any jerkyness.

Front!

Back!

From the back seat!
A lot of getting it smooth is first finding the point where the clutch releases just enough to make the car start to move. You'll know where that spot is, by rolling your foot back down and the car stops moving. Once you figure that out, you can work on learning to "slip" the clutch from that point, while adding a little more or some gas to that. Eventually you'll get better. Ideally you want to practice this in a big empty parking lot. You could even practice pulling in/out of parking spaces. That's the thing, getting smooth in 1st or reverse. The rest of the gears you'll be moving and smoothness goes out the window because you're working the clutch pedal so shortly (quick stab and release).
I can't tell you where that point is for where you're released/or engaged is, because every car is different (at least all of those I've driven are).

Old 05-07-2019, 01:11 PM

Very nice. Love the paint color and interior trim combo. I imagine you'll have a lot of fun with the manual. I would've liked to have the 6-6 in my sedan. Welcome!

Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM

This advice was super helpful. I spent a little time in the driveway finding the point you described, and my shifts got a lot smoother. Also felt more confident adding power when in higher gears. I need to keep practicing so I get it every time, but I'm a lot closer.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by NMinop
Very nice. Love the paint color and interior trim combo. I imagine you'll have a lot of fun with the manual. I would've liked to have the 6-6 in my sedan. Welcome!
Thank you! I think I really lucked out.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by blackeaglejs
This advice was super helpful. I spent a little time in the driveway finding the point you described, and my shifts got a lot smoother. Also felt more confident adding power when in higher gears. I need to keep practicing so I get it every time, but I'm a lot closer.
Just keep practicing. The more you drive, the more practice you get. Within a week or 2 you'll be good. In a month or 2 you'll never want an AT car again, unless you're stuck in the city.