New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new 1999 Accord Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Default new 1999 Accord Owner

Hello,

Just purchased a 1999 Honda Accord LX. Came with 126,903 miles on it. I started a new job delivery auto parts. I am using my own car. They pay me hourly+mileage. Is there anything I should do besides a tune up that will keep my car running smooth? Should I use special oil, or air filter or fuel filter? I'm driving about 500 miles a week.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Ben Jimenez
Hello,

Just purchased a 1999 Honda Accord LX. Came with 126,903 miles on it. I started a new job delivery auto parts. I am using my own car. They pay me hourly+mileage. Is there anything I should do besides a tune up that will keep my car running smooth? Should I use special oil, or air filter or fuel filter? I'm driving about 500 miles a week.
Welcome.
At that mileage, the first thing I have to ask is when was the timing belts done last? I'm only asking as they're supposed to be done at 100K, then 60 to 70K (or 6-7 years). These engines are interference engines, and if the belt goes, engine damage IS the result. Don't mean to scare you off, but it's just the way it is.
My own 99 Accord LX sedan has 232,000 miles, and I just replaced the timing belt on it, mainly because I didn't know when it was last done. My wife's 2000 Accord has 236,000 miles on it, and got a belt change at 217,000 miles, because it needed a water pump, and I didn't know when it was last done.
The timing belt is a no brainer kind of thing. Anything else is just a bonus, like cap and rotor, plugs, wires can be done a little at a time, or done at one shot. No need for special oil, as properly taken care of (regular oil changes), the engine will outlast the rest of the car. You didn't mention which engine or transmission combo you have, but it would help.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Default my honda

Im running a 4 cyl, VTEC. with auto trans. I'm gonna try to check the belt. I see that I have to remove the top belt cover as well as the valve cover. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware my engine was an interference type engine.

Also, I have no idea if it has ever been changed. It was an impound that I bought. So I can't really contact the original owner unless I want him to come try to take it back. lol.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Im running a 4 cyl, VTEC. with auto trans. I'm gonna try to check the belt. I see that I have to remove the top belt cover as well as the valve cover. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware my engine was an interference type engine.

Also, I have no idea if it has ever been changed. It was an impound that I bought. So I can't really contact the original owner unless I want him to come try to take it back. lol.
A visual inspection won't help. It's either been done, or it hasn't. Yes, you have to pull the valve cover off to get the upper cover off. You'll need the special Honda socket (AZ, O'Reill's, NAPA will "loan" you a tool for that, so you can get the lower timing cover off, and the belts off. Keep in mind that that bolt is torqued to 150+ ft lbs, and you're going to need some extensions and a cheater pipe to break it loose. Plan on 4 to 6 hours to do the job, or pay the Honda dealer 700+ to do the job.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
A visual inspection won't help. It's either been done, or it hasn't. Yes, you have to pull the valve cover off to get the upper cover off. You'll need the special Honda socket (AZ, O'Reill's, NAPA will "loan" you a tool for that, so you can get the lower timing cover off, and the belts off. Keep in mind that that bolt is torqued to 150+ ft lbs, and you're going to need some extensions and a cheater pipe to break it loose. Plan on 4 to 6 hours to do the job, or pay the Honda dealer 700+ to do the job.

If a visual won't help, is there a way to tell if the covers or other parts of the engine have been removed? Probably not I'm guessing. Paying $700 isn't gonna happen. I'd rather rent the tools and just do it myself or find a local honda guy who can do it for a few hundred. There is a shop near me called Asian Auto Tech, but I'm thinking they will probably want close to the same as the dealer.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:05 AM

If a visual won't help, is there a way to tell if the covers or other parts of the engine have been removed? Probably not I'm guessing. Paying $700 isn't gonna happen. I'd rather rent the tools and just do it myself or find a local honda guy who can do it for a few hundred. There is a shop near me called Asian Auto Tech, but I'm thinking they will probably want close to the same as the dealer.
You'd have to know what you're looking at to tell if the screws have been out before. You might get lucky and see if they left you some tell tales, but don't plan on it. You might try talking to the Import shop guy, see what kind of price he'll give you, but I'd still plan on 400+ to do that job. Like I said it's a 4 hour job. I've done 3 of them now, so I know what's involved, and I do have the Honda tool. That main crank bolt is the hardest part of the job.
If you can't afford to pay someone, then your next option is watching You Tube videos. Eric the car guy has some for Hondas, and even did an Accord. The biggest thing doing it yourself, is to take your time, and double check your work.