New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Forum and Honda Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Default New to Forum and Honda Cars

Hello,

My name is Pete, I live just outside of Denver CO, and I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX 4 cyl that I purchased for my brother in law who is moving out of his parent's house and trying life on his own. It's a long story there, but let's just say I am now responsible for maintaining this car

I've never had Honda cars before, so I'm new to that part of it. I have been a mechanic in one way or another for over 20 years, so I'm not new to that.

Thanks for reading, I have lots of reading to do myself!

See you on the road

Old 10-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing too revolutionary compared to most other car makes. The front brakes are "normal" instead of the captive rotors of previous years. Only a few maintenance things are different for Hondas.
- PS fluid is different. Don't use the stuff that says "all makes & models".
- ATF is different (if it's an automatic).
- Check ATF dipstick warmed up but turned off - not idling like other cars.
- Drain/fill the ATF, don't power-flush it.
- Cooling system really doesn't like to have air pockets in it. Bleeder on T-stat housing.
- Engine spins "backwards" and that's why it's installed the other way around.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Hello, Pete
Welcome to the forum. Wishing you the very best with the Accord

Old 11-01-2016, 02:40 PM

hello,

I am new to the site, I have previously found the form very useful but never actively participated. i am planing to do just that now, I drive 2014 Honda Accord and live in the NYC metro area. I purchased a car about two years ago new and have put over 100K on it, i am obsessed with maintenance.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to have all your questions answered by the many experts on here. Ask away.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Hello fellow Noobs and Moderators,

I am new to this forum but not to Hondas, just sold my 99 civic in favor of a 95 Accord (CD5) Sedan LX MT, long story. I was on Honda tech but it seemed to cater to integra and civic mostly. Is this the best forum for CD5?

How do I start a new thread? I have a very specific question about replacement trunk lids on 94 95 accords. Are the Coupe and Sedan the same part? ie interchangeable?

My LX is kind of a beast with normal wear and tear, I am definately a long term CD5 person, but this may be a short term project.

Best regards to all you peeps in Honda land!!

Attached Thumbnails New to Forum and Honda Cars-img_4912.jpg   New to Forum and Honda Cars-img_4915.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Inside any one of the forums here (like General Tech), when you're looking at the list of thread titles, the "new thread" button is towards the upper left.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Default 90 Honda accord 2 door Alternator tention

Hello, new to the forum, i got a 90 honda accord, recently replaced the alternator, when removing the alternator, the bolt that held in the bracket that supports the tention bolt broke off. So do i need to drill it out and re thread it, or can i bypass this and just put a in there.?

Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Default You won't believe this story!

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and, in the interest of transparency, I'll tell you exactly why I joined. I want to sell my fully loaded 2016 Honda Accord EX-L with Sensing Package. Black color inside and outside. It's a super smooth ride with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I "bought" it end of August/early Sept. This is the story. I HATE the car because I was bullied into buying it by the @)(#*@%)&#@% at Honda Schaumburg (Bob Rohrman) to be exact located in Illinois. They literally harassed me for over 6 hours, intimidated and yelled at me, never left me alone to think or talk to anyone, and wore me down until I @#(*&@ said yes. For the first time in my life, I now understand how false confessions are made. I would have agreed to anything just to get the @#(*@ away from them. My God, non-stop, they kept talking, I couldn't think, I couldn't breath...it was relentless and only ended (9:30ish pm) when I said ok. Then they quickly made me sign paperwork. They told me they wouldn't check my credit, only to find out they did. They asked me my salary before they told me the price of the car. They forced me to give up my previous car - and offered me less than the carmax quote I had taken in -- and yes, I signed everything because I was extremely exhausted, tired, and couldn't think straight.

At the end of this nightmare, I'm sitting in the car with the "salesman" and I asked about one of the features he had shown me. He said "oh, that's not the car you bought." And all I could say was "Ok". Does that give you a sense of how wiped I was? He even said to me that he "wasn't going to let you go until I made this sale." I visited 3 other dealerships within 3 weeks, and none of them did what these @#&$@#%&*#_%'s did. I looked online and their reviews suck (similar stories to mine). They've also had 5 Better Business Bureau complaints within a few months.

Long story short, I will never buy a Honda because of this experience. In fact, when I was shopping for a vehicle, I told them explicitly that I was looking for an SUV (and no, I didn't like any of the Honda SUV's they showed me).

Given this traumatizing experience, I want to sell my car. In fact, I HATE it because it brings up horrific memories. It's true that Honda's go forever, are excellent cars with little maintenance, and one of the top 10 cars to own. This is one of the best rides I've had and I love the safety and amazing gadgets that are built in. But I simply despise the car because of how it all went down. I'm willing to take the financial hit so that I can recuperate emotionally. So, if anyone is interested in a fairly brand new car - 1800 miles (303 when I bought it and they still sold it to me "new"), I'm very eager to sell. Selling for $26,500, but will consider reasonable OBOs.