New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New here need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Red face New here need help!!

OK let me start by saying, I a girl, but not a dumb one, and willing to learn, need help!! 94 accord lx, I have sloppy steering, bad!! power steering fluid leak, a pretty good puddle daily, rubber boots both left and right torn. Was told when I went in for an alignment, I need a new Rack and pinion. Ok I have one from another accord my husband bought for parts. (husband passed away 2 months ago). also it has been discovered my engine is sitting about 3 inches lower than it should. Can someone point me in the right direction for diagnostics? I have a family friend who is a capable mechanic, but what I am looking for is if these things are going on, could there be more wrong, or should there be other things I need to have checked before replacing the rack and pinion?

Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sounds like a challenge project.

1) Power steering rack is a major project for DIY. See following video.
You might consider adding a bottle of Lucas PS Sealer and see if that works. Occasionally this will work like magic.

Also suggest checking tie rod ball joints (inner/outer) for damage.

2) Engine too low may be result of damaged motor mounts. Check mounts on front and rear, and each side for damage. Again youtube videos may be helpful (
)

The front and two side mounts are readily accessible and replaceable (easy diy). The rear is not too bad but does require elevating car on jack stands and a good bit of under-car work to replace.

3) CV axles are straightforward to replace. See DIY forum and youtube for numerous examples. Quality new axles (not rebuilt) are recommended. Check this forum for recommendations. I remember Napa and EMPI as recommendations. I used Raxles and was very pleased. A bit more costly though.

good luck

Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Welcome new member..