New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new member new question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:26 PM
liltuber
Unregistered
Default new member new question

Hey everybody, I just registered my account, but I have looked over the site for a long time now. I have a question about a noise. I am pretty sure it is coming from my intake(cai), but there is a small posibility it could be coming from my flex pipe in the exhaust. When I get on the gas about half throttle there is a whistling noise, but it is very throttle specific. If I start to hear it and I let off the gas just a hair it will stop, and if I push it back the whistle comes back. If I push hard enough on the gas it also stops the whistle. At first I thought the cai might be rubbing on something, but i spent hours wrapping things and making rubber cussions so I know its not that. I'm pretty sure its not the normal cai whistle because I hear that before the obnoxious whistle comes in. The reason I thought it might be the flex pipe is because the noise started when i put on the intake, but I dont know, I'm fresh out of ideas. Please somebody has to know what this is.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Default RE: new member new question

Welcome to the Forum! Noises are VERY difficult to troubleshoot over the internet but I'm about 99% sure that it's coming from air flowing into your intake... My Cold Air Intake on my 94 civic did the EXACT same thing... it whistled at certain points from the air flow being differnet.... try taking off your air filter and putting a nylon or something over the end (makeshift style of filter) and with the car in the driveway just jump in and try revving it and see if it's still there... if not then that answers your question. Also, Make sure all of your clamps are tight.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

[sm=welcomesign.gif] New Member..
Thanks for joining up with us in this HAF..

Looks like MrNasty has you going on the right track with your questions..he's Pretty Reliable and has Good Knowlege..98% of the time [sm=chattypair.gif]

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-30-2006, 04:43 PM
liltuber
Unregistered

sir nasty what I forgot to put in is that the noise only comes up under load(like in 2nd through 5th), but I did a quick test at my buddys house with a t-shirt(i dont wear panty hose, so no nylon) and i went down the road and i couldnt get it to make the noise so I think you are right. When it stops raining here I'm going to do it againg and go for a longer drive.
Thanks for all your help

Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

welcome to the forum.......how funny, cause i try to get my intake to do that whistle as much as possible.... when i drive on the on ramp to the freeway ill just leave it at about 4k part throttle and then let that noize snap right when it gets loudest, i love it. its just the fact that any noise your intake system makes will be noticed because there is really no sound suppression device on there to rob you of that precious power. when that butterfly in your throttle body is open just the right amount and the engine is sucking the air in at just the right speed.......it will resonate

Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 PM
liltuber
Unregistered

Hey thanks lightshow for the response. Yeah now that I know that it's the filter and it's not anything vibrating on anything causing damage I let that thing rip. I get alot of looks, lol, whistle as I come, throaty exhuast as I go!
Thanks again guys for all your help