New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member with old 79 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 AM
wes103
Unregistered
Default New member with old 79 Accord

Hello.

I just signed up. I have a 1979 Accord LX which is currently wasting away in my grandmother's garage. My parents were the original owners, and I took it from them. I have the original bill of sale, and the window sticker too. The car only has 130-some thousand miles on it. Pretty low for a 30 year old car. It has the 1.8L CVCC engine, (EK1 I think?) which at the time of garaging, ran great (I had completely rebuilt it around 100k). The body needs a lot of work. The reason I had to take it off the road was that the steering gear was leaking, and it wouldn't pass state inspection. Life got in the way, children came along, and I just couldn't commit the time to maintaining the car.

I am finally getting back to doing my own maintenance on our other cars (94 Integra GS-R and 01 Accord EX). I've been trying to decide whether to junk the 79 or restore it. So, here I am, looking for inspiration to keep it.

Assuming I did this correctly, attached should be a picture of my "Generation 1" Accord in front of a "Generation 1" section of the Berlin wall in 1980.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20035/797945F81C6F46DF8D9717995D5CC6F8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New member with old 79 Accord

Welcome New member..

You have a classic on your hands there,keep the ol accord,fix her up and get her running,without the intent of being a daily driver.
Really hope you deide to keep it,and keep it updated on any happenings on the accord..or any other vehicle you own for that matter.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome, that is quite the cool project you have going.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
wes103
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: live2rice
Welcome, that is quite the cool project you have going.
Actually, it isn't a project yet. I'm just trying to decide what to do. I've got enough projects going on, with the house (remodeling some rooms) and the Integra (this is my daily driver, and needs a new timing belt, water pump, etc). This definitely would have to wait until priority jobs are out of the way.

I remember years ago, my brother had an 86 Prelude. I noticed that all the engine mounts were in the same place, and the transmission bolts matched up to the engine in my Accord. I thought then it would be cool to swap engines on him. If I do decide to keep this car, maybe I will do that engine swap, if I can find an old Prelude engine in decent enough shape somewhere.

But given the age of the car, what do I do for parts? 7 years ago, I inquired about a part I needed at a dealership. They told me then that the part would have to get sent out for manufacturing. And that would cost $$$. I have looked at some online parts places, and the ones I checked didn't have much for a 79. Can someone point me at a decent supplier? That would help in my decision. Or maybe someone has tips for fabricating my own parts?!? I don't own a machine shop, but I know someone who does.

I would love to replace some of the rusted body panels with lightweight modern stuff. That would make the car more spritely.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Im a huge fan of rockauto.com for older parts. They have decent prices and great service. It would be cool too see you swap in a 90+ PGM-FI motor and get rid of the carb...

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: finch13

Im a huge fan of rockauto.com for older parts. They have decent prices and great service. It would be cool too see you swap in a 90+ PGM-FI motor and get rid of the carb...
Better yet be the only K20 79 accord.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
wes103
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: live2rice
ORIGINAL: finch13
Better yet be the only K20 79 civic.
This is actually an Accord. The 79 Civic was even *smaller*. A lot of folks have always called my Accord a Civic because of the "CVCC" lettering on the back. Still a K20 79 Accord would be interesting to drive, no? It would be fun to take it back to the Autobahn in Germany and try it out again. (Dad had it up to 105 mph there, it got a bit shaky at those speeds)

I recall the 86 Prelude Si being fuel injected, but it was so long ago, I could be fuzzy on that memory. I suppose that swapping engines for something modern would certainly take care of my parts availability problems! But then, I would also have to put a catalytic converter on it. My understanding is that the 79 Accord was one of the few cars for sale that year that passed emissions without one.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks for joing up with us and bringing your car in with us...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM

I suggest you rebuild her. Shes a beauty and a classic. Also, welcome to the forums!

-$tanley

Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Default New member with old 79 Accord

hi how have you been getting on with your your 79 accord had any joy,
you can still get panels sills at oldpanelsuk or hadrian ,

i do hope you have, its a real iconic car its my most enjoyable reliable car i have ever driven, including my german cars i have owed, (not to mention the rust though) lo,

futurnately i recently purchased myself a 1980 accord hatchback had the sills done repalaced the fuel pump as it was making a slight noise intermitally every 6-7 seconds, i have never needed mager parts , normal wear an tear parts are still available from my local surpliers,

letus no would be great as im yet to meet an other mk1 owner yet would be great to trade with each other,

Quick Reply: New member with old 79 Accord