New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Default New Member from Texas

So, I bought my second Honda last month. It is a 1994 Accord LX with a 5 spd. It is a clean, 1 owner I bought from a good friend. His wife traded in a 1985 Civic she bought new for it when their first son was born. The car still has the original P/S pump, alternator, A/C compressor, and clutch. The car had the original fuel filter when I bought it. It had 305,000 miles on the clock when I bought it. It still ran very well, especially considering the PO had overheated it quite badly and parked it, until I bought it. A heater hose and thermostat and we were in business, until last Saturday. Without overheating or anything, the head gasket blew. I fear it may have been damaged with the overheating before I bought it, as well as with some ether starting (fuel pump acts up sometimes) created a ticking time bomb. I had noticed the oil light starting to flicker when the car was warmed up at idle, so I don't think I am going to bother with just replacing the head gasket. I have been shopping for a JDM take out motor, and will probably go that route to repair the car. And so continues the Honda story in my life!
I hope to find some good information and advice to get my car back on the road. Thanks in advance!

BTW, our first Honda was a 98 Civic EX I bought my wife a few years ago...that car almost broke me of ever owning another Honda...sure it was fun to drive, rode decent for a compact car, but it got worse fuel mileage than the Buick Century she had when we got married.

ROb

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Good Day Tex..Glad to have you with us here in the HAF...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF!

I've done the head gasket repair on my 94Ex. Not too bad a job, but be sure to have head reworked; check for cracks, leak test, reseat valves, new valve stem seals, and shave head flat. This reduces possibility of failed head gasket repair. You shore don't want to do this job twice!

Good time to perform Timing Belt replacement if that's anywhere close to being due.

good luck

Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 AM

TexasHonda...that was my plan, until I started pricing JDM motors. I can put a JDM motor in the car for a few hundred bucks more than doing the head job. With a bottom end that is already showing signs of being tired, I just don't think it is too wise to spend the money for a fresh top end to slap on it. But your suggestion is definitely my usual MO when I do a head gasket repair.