New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Owner of a 96 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile New Owner of a 96 Accord EX

Well I finally decided to upgrade from my old 87 Mercury Sable after owning it for a couple years. It only had 92,000 miles and was quite reliable, but because of a bunch of quirks, gas mileage, and just how ugly and old it was I set out looking for some new wheels.

I found my 1996 Honda Accord EX (manual trans) with 131,000 miles on it through a private seller and arranged for them to change the water pump and timing belt before I bought it. Man, compared to my old car this thing feels like a race car. It has a new dark metallic green paint job, sunroof, and best of all it's a stick. I love driving stick.

I found out the hard way that 90s Hondas are easy targets for thieves when it got broken into two nights ago... I haven't even had the car for 2 weeks. Guess I will never leave anything in my car again. They stole the radio out of it too, an older aftermarket Dual cd player which I was already planning on replacing, (haha suckers...) . I had already ordered a new kenwood deck. I'm going to install it on Friday and at the same time I am planning on installing my own secret fuel pump kill switch. I have been reading a lot of posts on it and it should be easy and cool.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

congrats on your new (to you car) sucks that it got broken into.

I bought a name brand (Code Alarm) alarm for $40 on ebay.

I installed it myself, it works great. It seems like that would be a good option for you as it would stop (deter) some one from breaking in as well as stealing it.

There is a good website the12volt.com that gives the locations of where each wire is that would need to be hooked up for the alarm system.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome, hopefully this time you can keep the stereo in your car.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question

Originally Posted by crispin
I bought a name brand (Code Alarm) alarm for $40 on ebay.

I installed it myself, it works great. It seems like that would be a good option for you as it would stop (deter) some one from breaking in as well as stealing it.
Is this like what you got? Is it hard to install yourself and do all the features work (keyless entry, trunk release, etc.)? Did you need any extra butt connectors or anything? I'm definitely considering buying this and installing it myself.

This is the alarm on ebay
Code Alarm CA1051 Standard Vehicle Security Car Alarm with Keyless Entry System (096204001332) | eBay

Thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jFlame
Is this like what you got? Is it hard to install yourself and do all the features work (keyless entry, trunk release, etc.)? Did you need any extra butt connectors or anything? I'm definitely considering buying this and installing it myself.

This is the alarm on ebay
Code Alarm CA1051 Standard Vehicle Security Car Alarm with Keyless Entry System (096204001332) | eBay

Thanks
Yes it works flawlessly and I am very happy with it.

You will need some basic electrical tools (which are very good to have anyway)

you need the following

electrical tape
wire cutters
wire strippers
blue butt connectors
test light
wire taps (which look like this)

now those wire taps you will be told not to use them and while you shouldn't use them there is a wire or two up under the steering column that there is just no room to cut it and use a butt splice. So after you squeeze the wire tap on you close it then wrap it real good with electrical tape.

it took me about 2 hours to install the Alarm and I had never done one before.

I actually found it so easy to install that I then bought a separate Auto Start system and installed that as well.

You will not have remote trunk release cause our Hondas use a cable to release the trunk. You will be able to lock and unlock the doors.

if you look around the forums on the12volt.com you can learn a lot (which is what I did)

Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM

this is actually the one I bought

Amazon.com: AutoPage Vehicle Security System with Keyless Entry Combo Unit - RF225A: Car Electronics

However the one you found is better cause it comes with the siren and the relay (the relay is used for the starter kill but I have tons of them so I did not have to buy one)

I just looked at the features of both of them and the only difference I see is the one I bought uses code hopping technology. However I really do not believe anyone is using a scanner to get past alarms. Cars as old as ours I think once the thief sees the red light flashing on the dash they look for an easier target.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Cool. Thanks Crispin. Looks like I have everything except for those wire taps. Where is the best place to mount that siren where it will fit? Somewhere in the engine bay?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jFlame
Cool. Thanks Crispin. Looks like I have everything except for those wire taps. Where is the best place to mount that siren where it will fit? Somewhere in the engine bay?

yes I mounted mine on under the hood, on the drivers side, on the front of the wheelwell.
There is something already bolted there so I just used that mounting location which put the siren firing forward and down. Never point it up cause water will ruin the siren.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Success

I got that alarm that I showed you and installed it over the weekend. I mounted the siren in the front left corner between the air filter box and the headlight housing and I just bolted it down with the bolt from the air filter box. I have an antilock brake module where you said you mounted yours. It all worked the first time and I was pretty proud of myself. The most frustrating part was laying on my back down by the pedals and trying to tap into the tiny wires that you could barely reach under the dash! UGHHHH! I spent hoooours researching online so that I knew how everything worked and would be set it up and then it probly took me 3-4 hours to get it all installed and taped up and put the dash back together and everything. But thanks for your help, it was a success and I feel slightly more protected and definitely cooler with my keyless entry and the "woop woop" when i lock my doors.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, how does the remote start work with a manual transmission? Do you have to leave it in neutral or what?

Quick Reply: New Owner of a 96 Accord EX