New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New user, questions on gen+

Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Default New user, questions on gen+

Hello all! Read alot on here and figured I would join up.

First off I do not have my accord as of yet but previously owned a 95 and a 99.

I am looking at a few locally that I am interested in. I will be posting my purchase and upgrades/adventure as it continues. I just have a few questions for some of you that may be able to point me in the right place.

First, I'm torn between either a 94-97 or a 98-00 model. The deal breaker here is which will be more readily modified. I am looking for a 5 speed and I may be overlooking something, but what I am trying to put in and for starters is I want a 5 speed with a v6 or a nice higher powered engine. I of course know all that comes with all the types of modifications. I am just wondering from experience or opinion which would be a better gen/ what kind of options would I have for a swap and having the 5 speed. I've seen the 3.2 cl maybe? But I'm unsure as if it does indeed work on either of these generations. Any insight would be helpful.

I am wanting to take this accord and make it my baby, I want to modify, work on appearance and put in to it. It will be my now and continuing project.
Thanks again. Any questions or more info needed on what I'm looking for please ask!
Thanks again, great to be on here finally.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

There were exactly zero Gen 5 (1993-1997) and Gen 6 (1998-2002) Accords sold in North America with a V6 and a manual transmission. As I understand it, it is possible to source a 6-Speed manual for the V6 models from a 2003 Acura CL, however, those transmissions are very rare birds, and even if you find one, the work to swap in the tranny, clutch, and shifter linkages is a major undertaking.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Now would you say that a 5 SPD sedan model of one of the two gens I talked about, w/ the i4 that comes with it, could be added the HP. I'm really needing to know which of the two differences I should start out and just make the appearance and added slight bit of torque to it would be worth it. Wich would the v6 with the auto or the 4cyl with the 5 speed ( either or ) with added torque be more worth while and as much fun to do.
I am also working on custom added appearance as well as in and under the car ( all around car modify in some manor ) I am more wanting the 5 spd transmission but looking at the whole picture the most. Which of the two gens that I have mentioned would be more opt and easier for the modify I have noted about. Are they most likely both equal in that sense?

( I really am not asking a much as it sounds ) I want more power than stock and a nice looking car. In and out. Under the hood and underbody to be nice and made nicer. Probably lower and cleaned up underneath/ under hood.

Sorry if this gets a bit confusing. :S TOO anxious to work on my accord!

Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Your best bet would be a 4-Cylinder 5-Speed manual version of either generation; the good news is the Inline-4 engines can be relatively easily turbocharged and tuned, and the 5-Speed manual transmission can take a pretty fair amount of torque.

Beyond the above, it is pretty much up to personal taste as to which car you start with.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Nice glad to hear, that works.
So either Gen,
I'll get a 4 door sedan 5sp
So looking like the EX, I'm presuming, before looking

Best year for the accord 4door ex?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by b00nd0cks
Best year for the accord 4door ex?
My personal bias says either a 2001 or a 2002; last two years of the Gen 6.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 AM

Thank you much for your help and input! Greatly appreciated.

If anyone else has any input or info on any of this it would be much appreciated.
The 01-02 models will be as customizable interior and exterior as much as the 5th gen?
Also know of good place(s) to get any of the interior or exterior parts or accessories? I'll probably re-carpet and new upholstery inside as well as new seats. I just don't know if these cars have alot of a selection for interchangeable parts or if they have alot that can be modified to fit them. Outside body add-ons as well, also for under the hood as you stated I'll most likely go 5sp/ i4 and add onto that.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

One final comment on your plans; from where I sit it sounds like you're planning on spending a rather significant amount of money on this project, and as partial as I am to the Gen 6 Accord, I really don't understand why you'd want to spend that much money on such a car. Thinking about this from a purely financial perspective, if I had the eight to ten thousand dollars you're talking about laying around and wanted a fast early 2000s vintage sedan with a manual transmission, I'd opt for a 2002-2003 BMW 540i 6-Speed.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM

Awesome input, very sweet ride as well.
You see I don't intend to make it all rather that much more HP. I would just like to add a bit to get more than the stock. Closer to a v6 power or so better. I would like to make it a smooth new feeling ride and make it look sharp. Also I understand that will be taking away from the fuel efficiency of the ride but I was going to go lighter on the car in other certain areas. The v8 with avg of 15mpg is quite alot. I will have my jimmy out during my winter/off-road moments and I was needing a car that would be nice to ride and work on plus have some type of better fuel economy since my jimmy is not the best at all. I'm unsure of the price I could find the BMW for a decent quality of car. I love the idea but again I wasn't planning on going indeed all out on the power and changing the whole system of the Honda. I would clean it in and out and add all new parts as they need or I feel they need replaced and the goal would be to have a smooth, great ride, sounding, and looking car with a little more power than you can get stock w.o doing major work such as the CL swap over.

Thank you again

*Edit*
Also would like to add, if you have any other car type suggestions to check out that I'm just not thinking of that would be viable for what id be looking for, maybe something else that I could add even a little more power than the accord but not take it to 7mpg. Haha.

Last edited by b00nd0cks; 10-12-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I know I'm late to the party, but if you were to look in the "Off Topic" section, there's a couple of polls showing the 94-97 as the best Accord to buy.

That said I have both a 97 Accord 4dr Sedan with a 5 speed, and a 99 Accord 4dr sedan with a 5 speed. Both cars are LX versions too (no sunroof to eventually leak). Personally I've found that the 97 rides much better than the 99. While I like the looks of the 99 better, the ride and seating of the 97 are so much better. Needless to say I'm torn between the 2.
Now if I could just get the front seats out of the 97 and put them in the 99, then the 99 might be a little more comfortable. I'm one of those kind of guys that has trouble finding a good seat, and seating position. I've been known to sell a vehicle just because I can't get comfortable driving it too. But the thing is I can get comfortable in my wife's car for long distance driving (BTDT), and it uses the same basic seats that my 99 has.

Also from what I understand, body kits and other stuff for personalizing it are more commonly found for the 94-97 body, versus the 98-02 body style. And if you look thru some of the other forums on here, it seems that the 98-02's have problems with some of their systems that the 94-97's never had, like the climate control unit, or the multiplex unit going dead (expensive to replace) because someone installed an aftermarket radio/CD unit. Those are just a couple that I know of right off hand from doing a little reading of the forums.

However, I should also mention that my wife's car is an 00 Accord 4dr sedan with AT and a 4cylinder. And if you read the "Off topic" forum, Live 2 rice is of the opinion that the AT is the absolute worse transmission you can have in an Accord (especially the 98-02 version). I haven't done anything to the trans in hers, and we've had it for almost 20K miles and just over 2 years now. We got it at 215K, and now it has 235K miles on it. Yes, I do want to do a trans flush, but I just can't seem to get her out of it long enough to do the job (she really likes the car).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New user, questions on gen+