New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Not getting MPG as promised

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 AM
aglatm
Unregistered
Default Not getting MPG as promised

Hi all,

Amonth ago I bought a brand new Accord 2007, V4 LX Auto and I am getting 22.3 MPG (I drive95% highways). Honda website promises 24 city and 34 highway. It is cold here in NY right now and I do warm up the car for about 4-5 min twice a day before I use it. Does it explain 22.3 MPG ? Do I have a problem with a filter ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

thnx
Alex

Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default RE: Not getting MPG as promised

There are a lot of factors that affect your fuel mileage. Warming the car up before you drive is one, also, how are your driving habits? Im sure that most car manufacturers "highway mileage" is tested on a nice flat area somewhere, driving at 55mph. So if you drive faster than that on the highway, your mileage will be less. However, your mileage is WAY lower than expected. Can you take it into the dealership and have them check it out under warranty?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Warming up the car for 4-5 minutes is a complete waste, and only adds wear and tear to your vehicle. Usually 20 seconds is enough but never go longer than one minute. First, you are wasting more fuel. Secondly, it causes more wear because your engine doesnt warm up as fast as if you spent 3 of those 4 minutes driving. When you start it and let it run, it takes longer to warm up This in turn, take longer for all the internals to expand to their normal size causing more wear.
For the MPG brand new cars start off with so so fuel milege. How many miles are on the car? Dont forget to change the oil frequently as its a new car. Welcome to HAF by the way!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Very good point, that was something I forgot to mention. It usually takes a bit for new cars to live up to their fuel mileage estimates, as they arent broken in yet. Once its fully broken in, you can probably expect better mileage.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Warming up the car for 4-5 minutes is a complete waste, and only adds wear and tear to your vehicle. Usually 20 seconds is enough but never go longer than one minute. First, you are wasting more fuel. Secondly, it causes more wear because your engine doesnt warm up as fast as if you spent 3 of those 4 minutes driving. When you start it and let it run, it takes longer to warm up This in turn, take longer for all the internals to expand to their normal size causing more wear.
For the MPG brand new cars start off with so so fuel milege. How many miles are on the car? Dont forget to change the oil frequently as its a new car. Welcome to HAF by the way!
This must be the reason I get such lousy gas mileage on my car, I let it warm up 5 or 10 minutes sometimes and sometimes when I leave the house 20 or 30 minutes later , it's still running [sm=bounceybounce.gif]same thing applys to the car in the summer when I'm cooling her off with the air conditioner running...WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

You know, I do the same thing, I let my car run for about 5-10 minutes. But Im leaving the house at 5.20 in the morning, when its usually 15-20 degrees outside, and I hate being cold lol.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yikes! Well I hope you guys are at least using synthetic oil if you choose to do that! I drive to school and dont even bother turning on the heater. I figure "Hey, my Honda carries my lazy butt to school...so i'll suffer a bit and take the cold" It just gets annoying when you have to scrape the inside of your windshield! Aww well, its only freezing here for a few months.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that turning on the defroster or heat before you car is warmed up puts even more wear on the car. I say just grab the hat, scarf, thick gloves, and your coat and drive the igloo!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:07 AM

I too am guilty of warming up the car. I have always let it run just til the idle drops down and then take off.

My Accord aint doing so grand on the gas mileage thing either. I havent filled up yet so I dont have an exact number but Im almost down to a half a tank with 170 miles. Im guesstimating thats about 25 mpg.

Im not too tore up over it though as most of that has beenstop and go traffic and, coming from a 6000 pound Dodge Ram that got12 mpg around town, Im still quite happy!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Letting the car warm up offers zero miles per gallon while it sits there at idle. A new engine only one month old isn't even close to being broken in. Mine didn't start achieving top MPG until it had 5000 miles on it.

As mentioned, driving habits, outside temp, and many other things factor into your MPG reading. Also how are you establishing your MPG? Per each fill up? Trip computer? An auto tranny generally gets slightly less mileage than a stick. Using the defroster turns on the A/C compressor which uses more fuel but it's necessary in the winter.

Just to set the record straight it's an I4 not a V4.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

To me, wasting five to ten minutes worth of gas is well worth it to have a nice warm car when Im ready to go, and to not have to scrape any windows. But thats just me.

Quick Reply: Not getting MPG as promised